Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys this is the case,

In the Hemm Modular P2 book it says:

The trapezium rule only works if the the too boudaries are on the same side of the X axis, i.e both>0 or both<0, but, Many qustions ask you to use the TRAP rule to estiamte the Area under a curve between to points where one in +ve and the other is -ve How is this so and:

If, when, u find the values of y, y1, y2..... if one is -ve, do we take the Mod of it or what, coz in integration, if the Area is -ve we take the Mod right???

MAN im all screwed up, this is not the time for dis ****, Plz any help?

ReputationRep:
    never actually seen it ask you to do this on an exam but yes i should guess taking the mod would work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-J-S)
    never actually seen it ask you to do this on an exam but yes i should guess taking the mod would work
    oh ya

try this question from past paper:

Use Trapezium with 5 equally spaced ordiantes to estimate the area under the curve of equation y= secX between -Pi/3 and Pi/3

ReputationRep:
    Come On Guys Anybody, I Ahte Being Pushy, But Damn!

ReputationRep:
    y dont u split it in 2 ie do trapezium rule with 2 strips between -pi/3 and 0
    and with 2 strips between 0 and pi/3 u will be using 5 equally spaced ordinates (-pi/3,-pi/6, 0, pi/6, pi/3) That should work i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-J-S)
    y dont u split it in 2 ie do trapezium rule with 2 strips between -pi/3 and 0
    and with 2 strips between 0 and pi/3 u will be using 5 equally spaced ordinates (-pi/3,-pi/6, 0, pi/6, pi/3) That should work i think
    yeah and take the mod of the ones in the -ve side.

ReputationRep:
    mod of the individual ordinates or final answer?

ReputationRep:
    Thnx

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.