Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you acknowledge homeless people? Watch

Announcements

Even if I don't have money to give them, I'll always acknowledge the homeless - I'll apologize, wish them a good evening, if I've got a little time, talk to some for a bit.

I don't like how we have a tendency to not even acknowledge them, as if becoming homeless has somehow dehumanized them in society's eyes.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm asked to buy a Big Issue I'll make sure to look them straight in the eye, smile and say 'No thank you'. They're perfectly happy with such a response because they want to be acknowledged, and always return a smile and wish me a good day. Usually they can see that I'm in a rush as I tend to stride quite purposefully.

When asked for change I will be apologetic and tell them I have none (even when I do have some, because I'd prefer to buy material items instead).

Common decency. Be polite to other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasonM)
    The problem is a lot of beggers either have a council flat, so could make progress towards work but instead chose to be bums

or they have underlying drug issues which means you could give them £50 a day for a year and they would still be homeless and hungry.

and then you got the professional beggers, some of which pretend to be disabled etc then go back to their 3 bedrooms house in their car

But there is some genuine people out there. The last convo I had with a begger, he said there are 80,000 people visiting for the rugby over the next week, if each of these people could just give me 1p i'd have 8 grand, that'd get me a nice place, food etc. I didn't wanna point out 80000 x 1p is only £800 but it did kinda show how he was angry that the world wasn't willing to help when there are so many resources available. But at the same time, fck him for sitting next to mcdonalds at 3am when he knows the clubs are kicking everyone out and people are more likely to give him stuff. Kinda makes me think he had some wit about him but was completely lazy.

Despite all that i'm a sucker for giving them money if they ask me direct or buying 'em food if I see them about.
    The other problem is there aren't a lot of accurate statistics out there about the problem. We don't know how many people are currently homeless nor do we know how many beggars are not genuine. It may only be the case for a handful of beggars that actually have a council flat and/or a three bedroom house, but unfortunately that handful generates skepticism towards all homeless people, which is a shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elen90)
    If I'm asked to buy a Big Issue I'll make sure to look them straight in the eye, smile and say 'No thank you'. They're perfectly happy with such a response because they want to be acknowledged, and always return a smile and wish me a good day. Usually they can see that I'm in a rush as I tend to stride quite purposefully.
    You make them sound like puppies.

If I'm asked to buy a Big Issue, I'll make sure to look them straight in the eye and say 'No thank you'. They're perfectly happy with such a response because they want to be acknowledged, and always return a smile and wish me a good day.

When asked for change I will be apologetic and tell them I have none (even when I do have some, because I'd prefer to buy material items instead).

Common decency. Be polite.
    This.

I've very rarely experienced someone who is horrible about you not having money - they, of all people, can understand that. Most are perfectly lovely and just seem appreciative that you took the time to talk to them rather than simply walk past.

ReputationRep:
    i tried giving this guy an IKEA meal... he didn't want it - he said he had food and drink and didn't need it (even though he was living in the trolley outside and had a half empty cup of hot chocolate)

... so I ate it

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely correct Ethereal, I think the way we are dealing with homelessness is highly ineffective and no real change is gonna happen at this rate, especially with the amount of food bank users is rising at an alarming rate.

Russel brand did a vid on homelessness and how the American media outlet, fox, portays it. They are calling it a "quality of life crime" lol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUoAIWDpaAg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    i tried giving this guy an IKEA meal... he didn't want it - he said he had food and drink and didn't need it (even though he was living in the trolley outside and had a half empty cup of hot chocolate)

... so I ate it
    I can't keep repping you unfortunately Maybe he just wanted you to give him money more. I gave a guy sitting outside KFC some chips and a coffee and he said it made his day. There is a huge variety of responses to giving food. If it was meatballs I'm seriously surprised he turned it down though? IKEA meatballs are the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_law)
    You make them sound like puppies.
    Wasn't sure how else to say it - I was hesitant over that sentence too. You have better phrasing?

As people, we want acknowledgement when we talk to other people. I want to be acknowledged when I ask a question or offer someone something. It's a sad truth that most people simply don't acknowledge homeless people and have, to an extent, dehumanised them.

There is no need to nitpick.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't sure how else to say it - I was hesitant over that sentence too. You have better phrasing?

As people, we want acknowledgement when we talk to other people. I want to be acknowledged when I ask a question or offer someone something. It's a sad truth that most people simply don't acknowledge homeless people and have, to an extent, dehumanised them.

There is no need to nitpick.
    I know exactly what you're saying- I mean I put acknowledge in the thread title. And my experience from talking to them (which is probably greater than that guy who said the puppy comment), is that they like being talked to and acknowledged. The worst part is being completely ignored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    I can't keep repping you unfortunately Maybe he just wanted you to give him money more. I gave a guy sitting outside KFC some chips and a coffee and he said it made his day. There is a huge variety of responses to giving food. If it was meatballs I'm seriously surprised he turned it down though? IKEA meatballs are the best.
    Awh it's okay thanks :hugs: I can't rep you either X'D
    Maybe :/ true

Ahaha they are but it wasn't meatballs it was a hotdog (yeah damn right I put the ketchup and mustard on it), chips (even got him salt and pepper m9!) and a refillable cup drink with a cinammon bun :3 *stomach rumbles*

he didn't even take the cinammon bun ¬_¬
    ... oh well I tried

ReputationRep:
    If I have no change I ignore them, mainly out of embarrassment that I can't help. Not that ignoring them is any better, I hate doing it. I try to pretend I'm on my phone.

If I have change I will always give them it.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I give money if I have it, buy them food if I can and occasionally chat to them for a bit if I have time.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I try to avoid making any eye contact, because I literally have no money myself, the £5 in my pocket is usually for the bus home and the likes... Although, often enough when me and some friends have just been to Pizza Hut, we ask for the extra slices to be boxed up and then give that to the homeless, they're usually pretty grateful for that. Some homeless people can seem intimidating though, which can be a little scary for someone like me who's afraid her own shadow when walking alone haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

Ahaha they are but it wasn't meatballs it was a hotdog (yeah damn right I put the ketchup and mustard on it), chips (even got him salt and pepper m9!) and a refillable cup drink with a cinammon bun :3 *stomach rumbles*

... oh well I tried
    I find it's best to ask beforehand whether you can get them anything. Then, if they do want something, they can specify what they'd like in particular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)

... oh well I tried
    oh god, how can he turn down the cinnamon bun?

gave a homeless guy half a nandos chicken before, all he said was how he wants some raspberry ice cream from morrisons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    oh god, how can he turn down the cinnamon bun?
    God knows
    that man has strong willpower

ReputationRep:
    I find it's best to ask beforehand whether you can get them anything. Then, if they do want something, they can specify what they'd like in particular
    yeah i guess :3

ReputationRep:
    I smile. I tend to avoid one's that actually approach me, however.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.