Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you acknowledge homeless people? Watch

Announcements

(Original post by callum_law)
    You make them sound like puppies.
    I think what they meant was they want to be acknowledged rather than ignored, as a lot often do when it comes to those who are homeless - they're appreciative when someone doesn't merely walk past as if they aren't even there.

It's hard to find the right way to phrase things. I didn't like how I kept referring to those who are homeless as "them," as if they're not individual in their own right, but had to for lack of a better way of phrasing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    I think what they meant was they want to be acknowledged rather than ignored, as a lot often do when it comes to those who are homeless - they're appreciative when someone doesn't merely walk past as if they aren't even there.

It's hard to find the right way to phrase things. I didn't like how I kept referring to those who are homeless as "them," as if they're not individual in their own right, but had to for lack of a better way of phrasing it.
    You are the nicest person I have ever come across.

ReputationRep:
    If a person spoke to me I wouldn't just ignore them, whether they live in a house or on the street or wherever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    I'm just wondering what everyone does when walking past a homeless person either on the street or selling the big issue. Do you acknowledge them with eye contact, a smile, give them money or say 'Sorry I have no change'. If you do give them money do you speak to them or engage?

The reason I ask is because I'm doing some research in my home city on this and exploring how society acknowledges or ignores the homeless and why.

Do you feel guilty when you walk past, do you care? What are your thoughts?
    I dont acklnowledge the homeless because every single person that walks past a homeless person like they dont exist, reminds them shouldnt have done whatever royal f***-up got them in that situation in the first place.

Particularly have zero sympathy for homeless people in the West.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Truthfully, I have never engaged with a homeless person. I always walk down the street with my headphones in and don't talk to anyone. I do feel for them but I'm not full of money either so I can't give away much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you acknowledge them with eye contact, a smile, give them money or say 'Sorry I have no change'
    1. Males rarely give eye contact, and between males this can be interpreted as confrontational

2. Smiling at a homeless person can be interpreted as false, or worse still, taking the piss

3. If you give money to a homeless person you are running the risk that this will merely fund vices

4. I only say I've no change if I think in that moment that I don't have any (rarely carry change, in actuality), otherwise I tend to just say 'sorry mate' if someone begs/asks to 'borrow a quid' (hanging around to respond is sometimes how people get mugged)

5. By the time I hear a Big Issue seller I'm usually beyond them and hence to speak to them would be difficult and/or they are sold by women who seem as though they have little English

Do you feel guilty when you walk past
    No. I did not put them on the street, and I support charities and greater government expenditure to house and rehabilitate our homeless people. I've looked into volunteering in soup kitchens but sadly there were no such opportunities in my locality. I do all I can for these poor souls

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    People only become homeless due to certain (unfortunate) circumstances
    Sorry but that's incorrect

(Original post by rap11)
    You are the nicest person I have ever come across.
    I ... don't know what to say to that. Thank you?

I promise you I'm not, though - I just treat people how they deserve to be treated.

Also, to respond to something you said in another thread - of course I was worried about you! I think quite a few people were - you sounded quite distressed.

ReputationRep:
    There's a homeless guy near the train station so I have to walk past him on the few occasions where I take the train.

I sometimes give him a brief nod but I usually feel so guilty I barely look at him at all because obviously it looks like I have money since I'm taking the train but I only have a couple of pounds on my oyster usually. My family's not well off.

What's worse is that he recognises me now :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering what everyone does when walking past a homeless person either on the street or selling the big issue. Do you acknowledge them with eye contact, a smile, give them money or say 'Sorry I have no change'. If you do give them money do you speak to them or engage?

The reason I ask is because I'm doing some research in my home city on this and exploring how society acknowledges or ignores the homeless and why.

Do you feel guilty when you walk past, do you care? What are your thoughts?
    I do sometimes get homeless next to Tescos a sandwhich or drink but i dont give change because who knows what they spend it on - imo giving food is better

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.