Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people feel they have the right to kill and torture animals? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Humans are a whole different ball game. It's different logic for different species
    lol.

Just making stupid statements now instead of any arguments.

How are humans a whole different ball game? explain yourself kid.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abruiseonthesky)
    1. we are animals.
    2. I'm guessing one of your arguments for human animals being 'superior' to non-human animals is that we have higher capacity for reasoning and morality. Why don't you apply that to reason why harming other sentient, feeling beings that we share more similarities with than differences is morally wrong?
    It's not necessarily right to hurt animals without gain for our own species. I.e food

ReputationRep:
    Speciesism sucks.

Also, learn to use commas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmellyProtein)
    In pretty much every way.
    Incorrect. We share more with non-human animals (especially other mammals) than we differ from them, biologically.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously humans are biased towards humans; this is natural. There is the argument that human life is more valuable, but, aside from vacuous spiritual bull, the only semi-justification for this I can think of is that humans are more intelligent, but I reckon that most people wouldn't condone killing very unintelligent humans..and I say it is a semi-justification because the value of intelligence, at least IQ style intelligence rather than "wisdom", is dubious; half the time it seems we are using it to essentially **** ourselves over... This is one area in which I struggle to get a logical footing; I cannot override my own species bias, and do not feel guilt for eating meat, even though I feel like objectively our treatment of animals is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    op I completely agree with you - it's pitying and sad to see other people not really understand that we are are "animal" as all the other animal species. It's the superior species ideology. There are so many stupid counter arguments to it like "animals kill each other all the time" and "they taste delicious" but none of those are even remotely justifiable in the face of rapid extinction of species caused primarily by humans. No other species essentially breeds and harvests another repeatedly as a source of food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    Are you saying because other animals do it that means its ok for humans to do it?
    I am saying it's nature and we were born to eat meat.

(Original post by Kraixo)
    My life changed forever when i found out the word "rap" means rhythm and poetry
    Omg i did not know that! 😳 You've changed my life 😳

ReputationRep:
    It's not necessarily right to hurt animals without gain for our own species. I.e food
    I half agree with you - your 'necessarily' was redundant imo

With the food thing... I'm torn. I honestly can see a meat eater's POV but I never could. Imo, if you can live without animal products - which we in the west (generally speaking) easily can - you should. It's not an eat-meat-or-die situation like in other countries, or indeed like it was when we evolved away from herbivorism into hunter-gatherers (one hypothesis for the change to meat in the diet, although less 'popular' than the big brain hypothesis, is a change in climate leading to a change in food availability and selection pressure to move to new sources of food). I don't think there's any justification for harming other animals when we don't need to, and we don't need to. The only time it's right to kill an animal is euthanasia imo.

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect. We share more with non-human animals (especially other mammals) than we differ from them, biologically.
    May as well compare us to bananas then....

If you think we're not superior to animals than i feel Sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    I agree. However we tout ourselves as The Best Species Ever, and one of the oft cited reasons for this is higher reasoning and morality. Either we're top of the food chain and we can eat whatever we want, or we're a higher species that does eat whatever we want but recognises that it might not necessarily be morally right to do so given we have easily-available alternatives. Meat eating is no longer a necessity. Why carry on?

(Not having a go, I'm mostly playing devil's advocate here although it's based in my own beliefs haha)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    lol.

Just making stupid statements now instead of any arguments.

How are humans a whole different ball game? explain yourself kid.
    Again, patronising language. Humans have a lot over other species like I've already stated. Sure we share a lot in common with other species, but we as a species have earned the right to our position

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmellyProtein)
    May as well compare us to bananas then....

If you think we're not superior to animals than i feel Sorry for you.
    Maybe I should've made it clearer, I assumed you're a mind reader for some reason

When I said 'biologically' I did not mean purely genetically.

Also, you saying 'may as well compare us to bananas then....' hints at very little scientific thought around this whole topic. There's a reason we - as in animals - are in a different kingdom to bananas, yenno.

I think we're 'superior' in one sense - the sense that, in terms of evolution, we are further down the path than some (although there's signs some primates - chimps I believe - are starting to follow our evolutionary path). However, I don't think we're 'superior' in the sense that we have this authority to go around maiming and killing whenever we want.

ReputationRep:
    Again, patronising language. Humans have a lot over other species like I've already stated. Sure we share a lot in common with other species, but we as a species have earned the right to our position
    Pernickety biologist just pointing out that evolving doesn't 'earn' you anything as it's based on random chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    ooopppss you just opening a whole can of warms as a lot of evil acts committed against humans fall under the nature bracket.

We were born to eat meat? what does that even mean? 'I have sharp teeth so I have the right to eat meat'. :rolleyes:

Almost as stupid as that argument 'but if animals aren't meant to be eaten why are they made out of meat'.

You do know you can get meat from humans, Kill a human and eat them then you will be eating human meat. But its ok aint it as we were designed for eating meat. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    ooopppss you just opening a whole can of warms as a lot of evil acts committed against humans fall under the nature bracket.

We were born to eat meat? what does that even mean? 'I have sharp teeth so I have the right to eat meat'. :rolleyes:

Almost as stupid as that argument 'but if animals aren't meant to be eaten why are they made out of meat'.

You do know you can get meat from humans, Kill a human and eat them then you will be eating human meat. But its ok aint it as we were designed for eating meat. :rolleyes:
    You've just hit on something that genuinely does annoy me a lot about meat eaters - 'ooh I could never eat a dog!' Mate meat's meat, either you eat it all or you eat nothing. Pigs and dogs aren't that different, it's just your cultural perception of 'food' animal and 'pet' animal.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I should've made it clearer, I assumed you're a mind reader for some reason

When I said 'biologically' I did not mean purely genetically.

Also, you saying 'may as well compare us to bananas then....' hints at very little scientific thought around this whole topic. There's a reason we - as in animals - are in a different kingdom to bananas, yenno.

I think we're 'superior' in one sense - the sense that, in terms of evolution, we are further down the path than some (although there's signs some primates - chimps I believe - are starting to follow our evolutionary path). However, I don't think we're 'superior' in the sense that we have this authority to go around maiming and killing whenever we want.
    Well depends what we are killing them for in my opinion, Food, medical studies... all fine in my eyes. Cosmetics is a bit dodgy though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Pernickety biologist just pointing out that evolving doesn't 'earn' you anything as it's based on random chance
    We survived long enough and used our SUPERIOR intelligence and endurance to conquer the world. As a result, we own the world and the animals in it

ReputationRep:
    All I here from you is that humans are more intelligent and dominant over other species so that means we can trwaat them with contempt. That is nazi ideology. Are you a nazi?

I'll ask the question again - why cant we put the mentally disabled as the average person is more intelligent than them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)

I don't really care tbh. We have canine teeth which are for eating meat. It's a norm in our society.... We don't eat humans because they are our own species. Lions, for example, don't go round killing and eating other lions.... they will hunt deer or whatever....

Anyway, it doesn't bother me what you think so if you wanna call me stupid then that's fine. You just seem like a self righteous judgement prick who thinks they are better than everyone else for not eating meat. People are gonna eat animals, get over it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.