Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to find some material to make a new set of trousers as the cut (as any of you who have worn them will know) is crap and not worth the cost so am trying to find material to make my own set (planning to keep the issued ones for when in university), but having tried seemingly every fabric merchant in the area, I'm no closer to finding the correct colour.
    any help would be really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am hopesfully starting in September if i pass the interview?

Do you have any tips

Many thanks,
    Megan x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganMilliner)
    Hi! I am hopesfully starting in September if i pass the interview?

Do you have any tips

Many thanks,
    Megan x
    as the old saying goes, "put your head between your legs and kiss your arse goodbye"

on a more serious note, the organisation of the university is absolutely crap, I would recommend making sure you know how to work Blackboard inside and out as it is going to be a lifeline for you, and the classic excuse by teachers will be "you should have checked Blackboard" having a leg up and being able to show that it isn't there will be a big advantage,

If you live outside of canterbury always plan to add 1/2 an hour and over extra time for travel, everything seems to happen at the wrong time (I even remember missing a DPS session due to a bomb threat, that was an interesting conversation), I live about 40mins away from central canterbury but always plan 1 and a half to sometimes 2 hours (gives me a chance to grab some breakfast and swot up before lessons), plus the advantage for getting there very early is you then have the best chance for free parking which I will go onto on my next point.

There is free all day parking in and around canterbury, one of my more favoured areas is around the barracks as the housing estates don't tend to have limits, and to anyone who reads this, don't be an ******** when parking, I had a situation where a fellow student parked in such a way that 2 others could not and the residents retaliated by parking badly themselves for the next few months.

As an additional to parking in canterbury, anyone paying over £3.50 is a fool, the Park and Ride's are £3 (granted I haven't used them in over a year and a half so someone please feel free to correct me), and my personal favourite is the train station where it's £3.50 for the entire day on weekdays, and £1 per day over the weekends. I prefer the train station as there is more security, and it's a good brisk walk to the uni (with the library on the way) which can wake you up.

Avoid buying books for the non-biology subjects, and only buy the registered nurse edition for the biology books (the student ones are all dumbed down a bit). the non-biology books I've bought I haven't read outside the subject and do not believe that outside of very specific scenarios they would be any use, add to that the library is there and copying pages is relatively cheap, book out the book you want, find pieces in it that you're interested in, and then photocopy those pieces, and make sure you sort out the complete reference so you don't get lost (I made little post-it notes which I stuck onto the pages I was copying so that it was always obvious where it came from).

and last thing which is probably only relevant to half of the students doing this.
    I'm a very hands-on practical guy, you want something/one fixed, come to me, you want a report that explains why "It wasn't my fault", don't bother, I dislike the blame culture we've created, and unfortunately that is coming out in the course. All the biology and pharma subjects have been condensed incredibly to make way for what I view as "B***S***" subjects, and you will find that on placement your mentors will berate you for lacking actual medical skill, I have an aunt who is registered and she finds the lack of Physical and Physiological knowledge in newly qualified students worrying, but (and I quote) "They write a damn good care-plan".
    Nursing will always be a constant learning career, you find me someone who says they know everything, and I'll show you a liar, remember that. I haven't even finished yet and I know that I will be totally out of my depth when finally qualified, you will be tired, you will hurt, and you will feel depressed, but, when you get a card from the little old lady that you were able to talk to, or the firm handshake from a middle-aged boxer who said that he respected you and knew that he could never do what you do or maybe even a little squeeze of the hand from a young girl who had a damaged larynx because you showed her pictures of your pet dog, it's worth the exhaustion a thousand times over.
    Do not ever be the student who says "I can't wait to go back to university, don't like placement that much", you may get a first for the best essays, but I can guarantee that you will be one of the worst nurses ever produced.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.