_gracelizabethx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm currently set on applying to Oxford for Classics, to start in 2017, and I was wondering how I can express my interest in the subject as I am rather stuck - does anyone have any ideas about books to read/ plays to see/ museums to visit et cetera or any personal experiences of applying and how they made their applications stand out?
Thanks!!
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
One for you, Lucilou101
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's really up to you what areas and things you read to show your interest!

Honestly, I would just pick things that actually interest you. I was mainly interested in Greek literature, so I read quite a few plays by Aeschylus and Sophocles, and read through the Iliad and Odyssey. If you're more interested in history, philosophy or archaeology then that's absolutely fine - just read as much as you can and make sure to only mention things in your personal statement that you'd be happy to talk about!

You can try beginning to teach yourself either Latin or Greek if you don't know either of them already, but thats not a prerequisite - although it would be helpful as the course is very language heavy.

You could also go to museums or visit places of interest, but thats definitely not necessary as most people won't have access to these things.
TheClassicsGeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey! Another Oxford Classics hopeful here- just thought I'd introduce myself! Which college are you thinking of applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
_gracelizabethx
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheClassicsGeek)
Hey! Another Oxford Classics hopeful here- just thought I'd introduce myself! Which college are you thinking of applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh hello! I've chosen Brasenose, it just really appeals to me for some reason! What about you?
TheClassicsGeek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm fairly sure I want to go to Oriel- it looks so beautiful and I've met the tutors there at an open day and they seemed lovely! Have you started preparing for the CAT yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
_gracelizabethx
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheClassicsGeek)
I'm fairly sure I want to go to Oriel- it looks so beautiful and I've met the tutors there at an open day and they seemed lovely! Have you started preparing for the CAT yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
No I haven't, I've just taken my Latin language AS and I have my literature next week so I'm sort of using these to prepare and will focus on it more diligently nearer the time. What about you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.52%
I'm not sure (46)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.6%
I have already dropped out (28)
2.66%
I'm not a current university student (515)
48.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise