The Student Room Group

What is morally wrong - official football merchandise or unofficial merchandise?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Captain Jack
This post is about morals.

Lol I think this is a thing that people don't understand. People believe that morals are a derivative of the law. They don't use their inner moral compass to make decisions about morality because it's easier to hand over responsibility to the law.
Sometimes I even wonder if music artists have a right to recordings, and artists to copies of their work. I think there are two sides to that argument.

This is an example of capitalism being authoritarian. Take music. Once a the information that describes a song is digitally uploaded to a network like the internet it can be copied with no effort whatsoever. There is no physical scarcity beyond the infrastructure and running costs of network.How can you supply and demand when the supply is infinite? Companies like iTunes work with the state and enforce a manufactured scarcity that doesn't actually exist. Now throw in 3D printing...The real libertarian position is to let people share data.

Obviously there is the question of how do artists make a living and so on. But there is a big potential for technology to free us rather than enslave us. We need to be talking about it.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Lol I think this is a thing that people don't understand. People believe that morals are a derivative of the law. They don't use their inner moral compass to make decisions about morality because it's easier to hand over responsibility to the law.

Yes, Western societies appear increasingly subservient and unwilling to work together to challenge what we're told is right and wrong.
Original post by EtherealNymph22

Which is precisely why you can get the plebs to round up Jews for you :-/

"I;m only doing my job" :dontknow:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Which is precisely why you can get the plebs to round up Jews for you :-/

"I;m only doing my job" :dontknow:

Lol I thought you were having a go at me then :frown: but read it back and realised you were agreeing with me... but yes, totally :wink:
Reply 25
If you are not copying someone else's design, I'm fine with it. So no replica shirts because that is stealing / making money off someone else's idea, but for example a normal T-shirt with some original drawing or chant on it that is club-related would be perfectly OK in my book. (Probably not even illegal, I'm not sure.)
This post is about morals.

Why it's morally wrong then: you are earning money off of someone else without their permission and basically stealing their image for your own profit. Like a movie, making a bootleg copy and selling it without any effort and using the image to sell it without any benefit to them and in fact causing a negative since they are losing money.
I'm watching it now - I couldn't give a **** about the man in the pub flogging the off football shirt, it's when you start making a living from it that it's wrong imo. Copying someone else's stuff en masse is wrong, and you shouldn't be making a living off somebodies else's hard work.

Imitation is fine. Fake replicas is not. The rich are rich enough as it is, **** them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ticket touts are scumbags

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arkasia
Selling any form of Spurs merchandise is morally abhorrent.

You'd be taking money out of Levy's pocket which he really wouldn't like.

As for OP of course it's wrong selling fake football merchandise. It's no different to selling fake clothes of any sort

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
You'd be taking money out of Levy's pocket which he really wouldn't like.

As for OP of course it's wrong selling fake football merchandise. It's no different to selling fake clothes of any sort

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good
Why?

In my opinion it's deeply unfair that the people who own the legal rights to something and who pay huge amounts of their own money to promote the brand and ensure it has a good reputation, can have their logos etc sold by someone else.

EDIT: I feel unofficial merchandise which say for Chelsea, has a lion and is blue but nothing copyrighted is fine; I assumed you meant counterfeits.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
They sell fake shirts in third world countries those guys don't give a crap
I suppose the concept of 'brand' and it being something you build up with a football team could be viewed on as strange. I.e isn't football supposed to be a game supported by fans who pay to watch the matches in person and sometimes on TV.

As a fan and supporter, you're part of the club so why should you have to pay huge mark ups to the official club when you are already part of the team that makes the whole thing possible.

In the current way things work, probably neither is particularly moral to me - one is extortion and the other is theft. In a different world, perhaps it could be different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending