Parents separated mid way through degree

Watch this thread
Naaadiiiaaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I am in my third year and currently on a year abroad. I'm currently on the minimum loan amount due to my fathers earnings, however my father left my family home in October 2014 and since then my parents have been separated. They are still currently going through the divorce proceedings, but I only live with my mother outside of term times. My mother is a part-time nurse and so doesn't make anywhere near enough to support me financially during my degree, however since my father has left and is now supporting his new partner and her child in a separate home he is not in a position to support me as much as we have assumed when I applied for my degree. This has led to me not having enough to even pay my rent, before I even consider feeding myself. Due to medical conditions getting a part-time job is not an option for me unfortunately.

Because of this I was wondering if I had any way of re-applying for student finance for the 2015/2016 academic year under my mothers earnings? Of if tax dates meant I still have to consider my fathers earnings for this academic year. As far as I am aware I should have no issues getting more in my 4th and final year as they should have finished divorce proceedings by then, my query is more about my current position. Any help would be much appreciated.
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Hi

If your parents separate or you have separated from your partner during the academic year and wish their income details to be removed from your application, you will need to provide evidence of separation.

Your application will now be assessed on a pro-rata basis. For example, if your parents have separated we will take the joint income for the time they were together then change this to sole income for the remaining period. This will be the same for students who's partners income was assessed. We will require evidence of either a separation or divorce. We will accept any of the following:

• Most recent council tax bill indicating 25% the single occupancy discount
  • Decree Absolute if divorced
  • Decree Nisi to confirm separation
  • Dissolution order or a letter from a solicitor
Thanks
Naaadiiiaaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser)
Hi

If your parents separate or you have separated from your partner during the academic year and wish their income details to be removed from your application, you will need to provide evidence of separation.

Your application will now be assessed on a pro-rata basis. For example, if your parents have separated we will take the joint income for the time they were together then change this to sole income for the remaining period. This will be the same for students who's partners income was assessed. We will require evidence of either a separation or divorce. We will accept any of the following:

• Most recent council tax bill indicating 25% the single occupancy discount
  • Decree Absolute if divorced
  • Decree Nisi to confirm separation
  • Dissolution order or a letter from a solicitor
Thanks
Thanks so much for your reply, can I just double check some things. If I am understanding correctly, as my parents have been separated for this entire academic year I am based under my mothers earnings for this year?

In my original application I didn't add any parents earnings as I knew I was above the threshold, so does this mean if I now acquire a decree nisi or some other evidence I can add my mothers earnings alone to base my student finance on?
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi there.

We will assess using whichever parent you have most contact with now, if that's your mother then you can send her details only.

If you require marital evidence from your mother you should also provide a cover letter explaining when they separated so we can clearly see it was for the whole academic year.

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed