Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can comparison websites save your info? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Been shopping around for insurance, was close to buying from Endsleigh but then decided to fiddle around with my details to see what it would cost if I told them I lived at my parents house or whatever.

Anyway after doing that I found it was actually more so I put my original details in to get put on the quote I found earlier but it's price shot up from just half an hour ago from £730 to £1030? The only reason I could think this has happened is that the system added that other address as an additional risk? Even when I go on the Endlseigh website I can't replicate the old quote again.

Also I just want to get insured for 6 months so do I just pay monthly and cancel after 6 months or will it stay on my record as being declined insurance?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almunia)
    Been shopping around for insurance, was close to buying from Endsleigh but then decided to fiddle around with my details to see what it would cost if I told them I lived at my parents house or whatever.

Anyway after doing that I found it was actually more so I put my original details in to get put on the quote I found earlier but it's price shot up from just half an hour ago from £730 to £1030? The only reason I could think this has happened is that the system added that other address as an additional risk? Even when I go on the Endlseigh website I can't replicate the old quote again.

Also I just want to get insured for 6 months so do I just pay monthly and cancel after 6 months or will it stay on my record as being declined insurance?
    The prices technically shouldn't shoot up, because the comparison site is literally just comparing the many other sites that you may visit individually - they don't actually control the price. There may be some things which are taken into account differently when you use a search through a comparison site, and then through an insurer's site, for example, default search settings may be slightly different in terms of excess...

The location of your car, including whether it's on or off street, in garage etc, will affect the cost in some way.

ReputationRep:
    You usually received an email with your best quotes when you use a price comparison site. This should let you get the original quote.

No. If you cancel the policy it isn't the same as when the insurance company does it. You will need to read the small print though as there will usually be a cancellation fee to pay.

ReputationRep:

I know from experience that when you purchase cover using price comparison sites, the insurer checks with the comparison site to identify whether you have searched for quotes with details that differ from the quote that you purchased.

You can pay monthly and cancel after 6 months, but there is usually a cancelation fee which can be quite high. You will also miss out on getting a year's worth of no claims bonus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.