Turn on thread page Beta

Unfair A-levels watch

Announcements

AS English
    AS Maths = 1 A-level

AS Biology
    A2 Biology = 1 A-level

Now, an A2 level is supposed to be a lot more difficult than an AS, so surely it's unfair to accept someone with lots of 'easy' AS qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Une registeredo)
    AS English
    AS Maths = 1 A-level

AS Biology
    A2 Biology = 1 A-level

Now, an A2 level is supposed to be a lot more difficult than an AS, so surely it's unfair to accept someone with lots of 'easy' AS qualifications?
    yeh but they wud have a broader range of skills.

So would a GCSE student.

I thought AS levels were only slightly more difficult than GCSEs anyway?

ReputationRep:
    AS English
    AS Maths = 1 A-level

AS Biology
    A2 Biology = 1 A-level

AS + AS doesn't equal 1 A-Level, it equals two AS levels.

AS + A2 equals 1 A-Level.

Or do you mean for the equivalent of the same UCAS tariff points?

(Original post by Unregistered)
    So would a GCSE student.

I thought AS levels were only slightly more difficult than GCSEs anyway?
    Er... personally I don't find A-Levels hard, but compared to GCSE's they are extremely hard.

I found GCSEs harder than A-levels. I don't know why; maybe it was because I worked on subjects I enjoy, who knows? Anyway, A-levels are more organised and understandable. Teachers give you one-to-one help and talk you along like an adult. Through my GCSEs, it was so hard to get help, learn, concentrate and study with the class acting like the children they were.

ReputationRep:
    AS English
    AS Maths = 1 A-level

AS Biology
    A2 Biology = 1 A-level

which is why top universities ask for a-levels rather than points.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    i think most unis ask for x amount of points from a maximum of 21 units (maybe), including at least 2/3 6 unit courses (ie full A-level). So you cant cheat the system by doing like 8 As's to get loads of points and no A2s.

If that's the case, then what's the point in having AS-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    i think most unis ask for x amount of points from a maximum of 21 units (maybe), including at least 2/3 6 unit courses (ie full A-level). So you cant cheat the system by doing like 8 As's to get loads of points and no A2s.
    Yeah, that's true. They often say that you need two A Levels and that two AS Levels will be accepted in place of a third A Level.

ReputationRep:
    If that's the case, then what's the point in having AS-levels?
    Well i don't actually agree with the reasoning behind it, but the government are attempting to help the lower acheivers by allowing them to gain a qualification after a years work. A lot of kids for whatever reason drop out of a levels after a year or so, and in the past they had nothing to show for it, but now they can get a qualification after the first year. Its also to try and provide incentive to carry on with further education, as many student would now consider an As to be within their capabilities (but an old Alevel beyond).

However in reality it does little but annoy perhaps the higher end, and provides yet another stressful exam session for the middle and lower end to worry about

EDIT - and also of course the broadening of further academic qualifications to make a versatile workforce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    Interesting, as I didn't recieve a single offer from my six which required a points score.

They all wanted for example

BBB, ABC, ABB, AAB etc.

However I understand your point regarding the condition that if it is going to be x amount of points that in some cases it is stated that y amount of these points must be from full A Levels. Indeed it does stop people meeting the condition of simply getting the x points, through doing twice as many AS's as A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Interesting, as I didn't recieve a single offer from my six which required a points score.

They all wanted for example

BBB, ABC, ABB, AAB etc.

However I understand your point regarding the condition that if it is going to be x amount of points that in some cases it is stated that y amount of these points must be from full A Levels. Indeed it does stop people meeting the condition of simply getting the x points, through doing twice as many AS's as A Levels.

ist funny thou, coz my friend was offered 260 points from portsmouth- he didnt even need to sit his a2's because he had enough points from as!
    hi did anyway- just to show off!

love katy ***

It would have been silly not too. A2 levels cost schools a fortune to sit. If you're in full-time employement, they can work out as much as £789.

ReputationRep:
    It would have been silly not too. A2 levels cost schools a fortune to sit. If you're in full-time employement, they can work out as much as £789.
    Do you have to pay to resit them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Do you have to pay to resit them?
    Someone in full time employment would have to yes.

For those who are taking it as full time education... 6th Form centres are quite generous, I get my first "chance to improve" (resit makes it sound like you fail and have to take it again to stand a prayer) on each module for free. At some 6th Form centres you would have to pay.

Very often at 6th Form Colleges, retakes are not free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Someone in full time employment would have to yes.

For those who are taking it as full time education... 6th Form centres are quite generous, I get my first "chance to improve" (resit makes it sound like you fail and have to take it again to stand a prayer) on each module for free. At some 6th Form centres you would have to pay.

Very often at 6th Form Colleges, retakes are not free.
    'Chance to improve' - very politically correct

I will have to pay when I use my "chance to improve" in January (although I couldn't do much worse than I will this time). The only retake my college will pay for is in computing which they failed to provide me with a teacher for (for 5 months anyway).

ReputationRep:
    at some 6th form colleges you have to pay for resists? - dang!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    'Chance to improve' - very politically correct
    That term came thanks to my Further Maths teacher for the discussions me and my female collegue had with him on exam boards and their exams on days where we just didn't feel like it.

Technically it is a "chance to improve", at GCSE they are resits, because you know that if you get lower on your second attempt, that is what you will get as final, at A Level, you can only go up.

I under performed on a couple of units, on my first effort eg a B on Discrete 1 (June 2002) and B in Pure 1 (November 2002) and so took my free sitting for D1 in January 2003, and for P1 this Summer just gone.
    I took a couple of AS Geography units again because I felt that I could have done better than I did when I sat them in the June 2002 session, whilst ever they are free, you might as well take them again the extra couple of UMS marks gained every unit could be vital.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.