The Student Room Group

To do or not to do Medcine

I am looking for a bit of advice on anyone who has started to study Medicine in their late thirties with a high level of financial responsibility on their shoulders.

I am 36 years old and am in my third year of nursing. I have loved the degree and the experience gained but feel that I want to carry on and study a four year accelerated course in Medicine.

The issues/concerns I have with going for it are firstly my age. I will be 41/42 and entering my foundation years. What are the chances of career progression at this age?

The second issue is money. I am the main bread winner in my household (other half and 2 young kids). My typical week has involved a student week of 40 hours and 16 hours paid work as a HCA on the hospital bank. I am wondering how feasible would it be to work bank nursing shifts and study the accelerated course at the same time. Although the actual work from the nursing degree has been straight forward, juggling every other aspect of life has been a strain.

Is it a similar format in the medical degree, placements all week?
Original post by dp1979
I am looking for a bit of advice on anyone who has started to study Medicine in their late thirties with a high level of financial responsibility on their shoulders.

I am 36 years old and am in my third year of nursing. I have loved the degree and the experience gained but feel that I want to carry on and study a four year accelerated course in Medicine.

The issues/concerns I have with going for it are firstly my age. I will be 41/42 and entering my foundation years. What are the chances of career progression at this age?

The second issue is money. I am the main bread winner in my household (other half and 2 young kids). My typical week has involved a student week of 40 hours and 16 hours paid work as a HCA on the hospital bank. I am wondering how feasible would it be to work bank nursing shifts and study the accelerated course at the same time. Although the actual work from the nursing degree has been straight forward, juggling every other aspect of life has been a strain.

Is it a similar format in the medical degree, placements all week?

Your age isn't an issue. We had a 50 year old a few years above us :yes:.

There is enough time usually in the earlier years to work though it might get difficult later.

Each grad course will be different but it will be a mixture of lectures and placement with the ratio getting closer to pure placement as you progress though.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending