Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My biggest wish is to be a wife and a mother. Is that wrong? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Diplomat.)
    No its not wrong, but feminazis will think that you want to take that path because you're being oppressed.
    feminazi?

lol you dont like equality?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you would be the best mom and wife ever! That is a wonderful wish to have and I wish you best!

(Original post by markova21)
    Can I ask what age you are? The reason I ask is when I was 19,20 and all through my twenties I was very broody. I really wanted to find the perfect man and have his babies. But I was also a professional dancer at the Moulin Rouge in Paris. I had trained in classical ballet for eight and a half years from the age of nine and I was not going to throw away my career just because I wanted a baby. So I worked all over the world,had a great time,and then when I was 29 I knew it was the right time for me. Luckily I met someone ,who at the time I thought was special and very quickly I became pregnant. I now have a wonderful son who is nearly 19.The relationship didn`t last too long because he was a violent alcoholic. But I have my child that I have always wanted. But if I had got pregnant any sooner I would have felt cheated out of life. That`s just me. You have to do what is right for you. But I have a LOT of friends who got pregnant quite young. I have to say every single one of them regrets not waiting.
    I'm in my 20s. I'm not saying that I want to get swept away by the fairies and get pregnant tomorrow. But what I am doing now is working on myself and what I bring to the table now so that I am able to build a healthy and meaningful relationship leading to marriage. What I don't want to do is waste my time on having fun or guys who want to have fun or that don't know what they want. I understand that there are many women who regret getting pregnant so early but again many probably didn't do the work on themselves beforehand. And for every one of these women I bet there are several more who regret leaving it too late and never having the opportunity at all. I'm not throwing away my career as I already worked hard to get into a good uni and I'm getting good grades in a science degree. I will have a decent career but what I am saying is career is not everything, and I'm not willing to sacrifice everything for it. To me there are other deeper ways to be fulfilled and successful rather than just the amount of money that is going into my bank account and making money for someone else. I value connection and intimacy more than the chase for status and material goods. I love science but my biggest passion is to nurture, which is part of the reason I will probably go into teaching.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with it at all. You sound like you'll be a great mum

If you do want to be that though, just make sure you have your education first so you can use it as a backup or something

ReputationRep:
    No! Do what makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't wrong. It's your life.

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not! What you do with your life is entirely your prerogative and becoming a parent is a very important and rewarding job, these movements in the 21st century should allow you the choice, as long as you and your husband respect one another there's no problem but that goes without saying regardless of your career/living choice

ReputationRep:
    It's admirable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is this wrong in the 21st century?

Now I'm not saying I want to be a housewife. I do want to be a co provider for my children. I was thinking about going into teaching after I finish uni so that I'm able to look after the children in the holidays, or find a job where I can work from home.

I do fear though that in this day and age that I may never find someone to take care of to start a family with. I don't want to waste my precious years as there is only limited time.
    I have big career plans for the future, but if it was between marriage and children and my dream career, I would always go with being a wife and mother; in fact, my biggest (personal) fear in life is that I will never be happily married with children.

In my opinion, it's not wrong at all for marriage and motherhood to be your biggest wish - it's my biggest wish too and I don't see anything wrong in it.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of question is that lol
    It's my wish too
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Of course not! :lol:

Your aspirations should reflect your own outlook on life, and not that of anyone else :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. We live in a country where women have options, rather then being limited. If you choose to go to the path of being a stay at home mum, then good for you. Do what makes you happy.

No, that's perfectly fine - do what makes you happy. I have a friend my age who has two children - she always felt that motherhood was the thing she wanted to do most and she's happy. We're all different.

I wish you luck!

(Original post by Kay_Winters)
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a wife or a mother. Feminism is about equality after all, and also in respecting women and their choices, that includes if they want to be a wife, a mother, even a stay at home mother, which I see from your post you don't want to be which is equally okay, if that is what they want then that is okay.
    Yes, this - feminism is about ensuring women have the option to explore other avenues if they so wish, it's not a requirement. I feel like demanding women be in certain roles would disagree entirely with what feminism is about.

(Original post by The Diplomat.)
    No its not wrong, but feminazis will think that you want to take that path because you're being oppressed.
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    It's problematic defining yourself as solely a wife and mother as although you may initially feel central to the existence of those whose lives you share, this is not necessarily sustainable, and you'll be left with nothing of and for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)

See above.
    My point remains

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with that...you said you still want to work and be a co-provider whilst being a wife and mother...a lot of women do that...don't see why it needed a thread tbh :dontknow:

See above.
    Feminazi =/= all feminists.

Spoiler:
    Show
    She's trolling. :mmm:

(Original post by Hydeman)
    Feminazi =/= all feminists.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    She's trolling. :mmm:
    The terms tend to be used interchangably on TSR. :sigh:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ah, dammitt! It's so hard to tell on TSR when someone's trolling and when someone's not anymore. :laugh: Sorry, The Diplomat.

ReputationRep:
    People have a problem with a woman that wants to be a mother and a wife.

Is this frowned upon ? What?

ReputationRep:
    The terms tend to be used interchangably on TSR. :sigh:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ah, dammitt! It's so hard to tell on TSR when someone's trolling and when someone's not anymore. :laugh: Sorry, The Diplomat.
    I have one of the highest banter levels on this forum, what did you expect?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.