Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice for a skinny af newbie? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Starting the gym soon, I'm a male, 17, and quite skinny. I was considering hiring a personal trainer, but I don't know what gym routines I should be following? My aim is to become bigger looking physically and more muscular

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/ is a good place to start
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Pick one of the established routines, read all of the information available regarding said routine, eat lots of protons and then profit.

Ones to look at initially:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts
    All Pro's

All of these work and are simple to follow - All Pro's is ostensibly more focused on bodybuilding and there used to be a very active thread on bodybuilding.com with people following the routine who will be able to support and guide you. Any are fine though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Lol people recommending bb. com one of the most unlegit places regarding lifting.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3014757

There's the fitness FAQ; it has routines and diet advice. You don't need a personal trainer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Lol people recommending bb. com one of the most unlegit places regarding lifting.

There's the fitness FAQ; it has routines and diet advice. You don't need a personal trainer
    Thanks pal
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

In general, yes, especially if you accidentally his the misc.

All Pro's works though and I remember that community being fairly positive.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    In general, yes, especially if you accidentally his the misc.

All Pro's works though and I remember that community being fairly positive.
    iirc you add 10% on your lifts every time you hit the required reps. All well and good around 60kg; however 100kg -> 110kg and then 121?
    Madness

The misc is enough reason alone to avoid the website tbh; it infects the whole site
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    iirc you add 10% on your lifts every time you hit the required reps. All well and good around 60kg; however 100kg -> 110kg and then 121?
    Madness

The misc is enough reason alone to avoid the website tbh; it infects the whole site
    You don't run it forever. Most people run several cycles and stop as soon as they stall a couple of times - in a similar manner to other beginner routines. It uses dual factor progression so feels different to the other mainstays of the beginner routine world but it serves the same general purpose.

It does, but where else can you find endless right-wing politics and sexy gifs of Chloe Grace Moretz? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterious4)
    Starting the gym soon, I'm a male, 17, and quite skinny. I was considering hiring a personal trainer, but I don't know what gym routines I should be following? My aim is to become bigger looking physically and more muscular
    Try asking someone around who's free to show you couple exercises & use some advice other people have given you such as Bodybuilding.com to research about exercises.

Tip: Try find a gymbuddy who goes to gym already to show you the ropes/learn from videos as most people who start out do.

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE DO CROSS FIT OTHERWISE ITS A 1 WAY TICKET TO SNAP CITY. Kappa :bricks::laugh:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.