The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to study medicine?

Hi I'm currently studying my a levels but I've decided to not apply for university this year and apply next September after getting my results. As clichéd as it sounds I love medicine and so desperately want to study it however, my AS grades were very poor due to a combination of problems with home, misguidance from school and the fact that I'm not that academically strong. Following my AS grades my school changed my timetable (as I was volunteering abroad) and disallowed me from studying chemistry beyond AS. This leaves me in an unfortunate place for applying for medicine as nearly every medical school requires chemistry.

I have been told by school that I have several options:
1. Give up on medicine all together
2. Re-sit my AS chemistry to boost it up and see if medical schools will accept me
3. Do a chemistry crash course and complete the a-level in a year.

I also performed poorly in my Biology AS and will be re-sitting that this year.

Sorry I feel like I've waffled on for ages on here but here's an outline of my grades and work experience etc.

GCSEs: 6As 4Bs
AS Grades: ABCE (History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry)
A2 Prediction/Results: A*AB (History, English Lit, Biology - hope to achieve an A)
Work Experience/Volunteering: Work as an NHS qualified phlebotomist, 2 week placement at Children's hospital spending time at a&e, radiology, pediatrics, and theatre. Volunteer at dance school since age of 12 teaching dance, spent 6 weeks last summer volunteering in Tanzania at an orphanage and did a medical placement, care home volunteering, worked as GP receptionist.
Extra Curricular: Dancing, Bronze, Silver and Gold DofE, House Captain at school, Charities prefect.

I'm applying for the Manchester 6 year medicine course but I really don't know where else I can apply to and I'm really stuck.

Thank you so much for your help in advance (and for reading all of this!) :smile:
Original post by _randomthoughts
Hi I'm currently studying my a levels but I've decided to not apply for university this year and apply next September after getting my results. As clichéd as it sounds I love medicine and so desperately want to study it however, my AS grades were very poor due to a combination of problems with home, misguidance from school and the fact that I'm not that academically strong. Following my AS grades my school changed my timetable (as I was volunteering abroad) and disallowed me from studying chemistry beyond AS. This leaves me in an unfortunate place for applying for medicine as nearly every medical school requires chemistry.

I have been told by school that I have several options:
1. Give up on medicine all together
2. Re-sit my AS chemistry to boost it up and see if medical schools will accept me
3. Do a chemistry crash course and complete the a-level in a year.

I also performed poorly in my Biology AS and will be re-sitting that this year.

Sorry I feel like I've waffled on for ages on here but here's an outline of my grades and work experience etc.

GCSEs: 6As 4Bs
AS Grades: ABCE (History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry)
A2 Prediction/Results: A*AB (History, English Lit, Biology - hope to achieve an A)
Work Experience/Volunteering: Work as an NHS qualified phlebotomist, 2 week placement at Children's hospital spending time at a&e, radiology, pediatrics, and theatre. Volunteer at dance school since age of 12 teaching dance, spent 6 weeks last summer volunteering in Tanzania at an orphanage and did a medical placement, care home volunteering, worked as GP receptionist.
Extra Curricular: Dancing, Bronze, Silver and Gold DofE, House Captain at school, Charities prefect.

I'm applying for the Manchester 6 year medicine course but I really don't know where else I can apply to and I'm really stuck.

Thank you so much for your help in advance (and for reading all of this!) :smile:

I think that Keele accept chemistry at AS as long as you have biology at A2. There's a few others that I can't think of right now but just look at the websites. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kmedicine2016
I think that Keele accept chemistry at AS as long as you have biology at A2. There's a few others that I can't think of right now but just look at the websites. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Yeah I think Newcastle also does this, I'm going to re-do my AS chemistry to bump it up to a B if possible and see how it goes in summer! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending