Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently studying my a levels but I've decided to not apply for university this year and apply next September after getting my results. As clichéd as it sounds I love medicine and so desperately want to study it however, my AS grades were very poor due to a combination of problems with home, misguidance from school and the fact that I'm not that academically strong. Following my AS grades my school changed my timetable (as I was volunteering abroad) and disallowed me from studying chemistry beyond AS. This leaves me in an unfortunate place for applying for medicine as nearly every medical school requires chemistry.

I have been told by school that I have several options:
    1. Give up on medicine all together
    2. Re-sit my AS chemistry to boost it up and see if medical schools will accept me
    3. Do a chemistry crash course and complete the a-level in a year.

I also performed poorly in my Biology AS and will be re-sitting that this year.

Sorry I feel like I've waffled on for ages on here but here's an outline of my grades and work experience etc.

GCSEs: 6As 4Bs
    AS Grades: ABCE (History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry)
    A2 Prediction/Results: A*AB (History, English Lit, Biology - hope to achieve an A)
    Work Experience/Volunteering: Work as an NHS qualified phlebotomist, 2 week placement at Children's hospital spending time at a&e, radiology, pediatrics, and theatre. Volunteer at dance school since age of 12 teaching dance, spent 6 weeks last summer volunteering in Tanzania at an orphanage and did a medical placement, care home volunteering, worked as GP receptionist.
    Extra Curricular: Dancing, Bronze, Silver and Gold DofE, House Captain at school, Charities prefect.

I'm applying for the Manchester 6 year medicine course but I really don't know where else I can apply to and I'm really stuck.

Thank you so much for your help in advance (and for reading all of this!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _randomthoughts)
    Hi I'm currently studying my a levels but I've decided to not apply for university this year and apply next September after getting my results. As clichéd as it sounds I love medicine and so desperately want to study it however, my AS grades were very poor due to a combination of problems with home, misguidance from school and the fact that I'm not that academically strong. Following my AS grades my school changed my timetable (as I was volunteering abroad) and disallowed me from studying chemistry beyond AS. This leaves me in an unfortunate place for applying for medicine as nearly every medical school requires chemistry.

I have been told by school that I have several options:
    1. Give up on medicine all together
    2. Re-sit my AS chemistry to boost it up and see if medical schools will accept me
    3. Do a chemistry crash course and complete the a-level in a year.

I also performed poorly in my Biology AS and will be re-sitting that this year.

Sorry I feel like I've waffled on for ages on here but here's an outline of my grades and work experience etc.

GCSEs: 6As 4Bs
    AS Grades: ABCE (History, English Lit, Biology and Chemistry)
    A2 Prediction/Results: A*AB (History, English Lit, Biology - hope to achieve an A)
    Work Experience/Volunteering: Work as an NHS qualified phlebotomist, 2 week placement at Children's hospital spending time at a&e, radiology, pediatrics, and theatre. Volunteer at dance school since age of 12 teaching dance, spent 6 weeks last summer volunteering in Tanzania at an orphanage and did a medical placement, care home volunteering, worked as GP receptionist.
    Extra Curricular: Dancing, Bronze, Silver and Gold DofE, House Captain at school, Charities prefect.

I'm applying for the Manchester 6 year medicine course but I really don't know where else I can apply to and I'm really stuck.

Thank you so much for your help in advance (and for reading all of this!)
    I think that Keele accept chemistry at AS as long as you have biology at A2. There's a few others that I can't think of right now but just look at the websites.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmedicine2016)
    I think that Keele accept chemistry at AS as long as you have biology at A2. There's a few others that I can't think of right now but just look at the websites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! Yeah I think Newcastle also does this, I'm going to re-do my AS chemistry to bump it up to a B if possible and see how it goes in summer!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.