The Student Room Group

What do you think of this A-level combo?

I'm thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths, Philosophy (Philosophy & Theology Pre-U), and Economics.

I'm not certain about which exam boards we're doing for Maths+FM, but for Philosophy it's Cambridge (Pre-U) and we're switching to Edexcel for Economics.

I love maths and I just did my IGCSE on Tuesday. Our class is doing the OCR Add Maths FSMQ. I also want to have an essay subject for breadth, and really enjoy philosophy both in and out of school (it features in part of my RS course and we did some basic philosophical ideas in Year 9). Finally, Economics seems really interesting - an I get drawn into things about game theory and so on - so I'd like to explore it further.

I haven't taken Econ GCSE (it wasn't an option at our school) but I think I would really enjoy doing it at A-level. I'm also planning on taking the KhanAcademy Macroeconomics and Microeconomics courses over the summer after my exams :smile:

Anyway, what do you lot think? Thanks for reading this :biggrin:
Reply 1
I guess it depends on what you're planning on doing with these subjects at university?! I enjoyed Economics A-level and didn't study it at GCSE. Definitely go with what you enjoy.
Reply 2
Original post by Kingski
I guess it depends on what you're planning on doing with these subjects at university?! I enjoyed Economics A-level and didn't study it at GCSE. Definitely go with what you enjoy.

Thanks! I'm really not sure what I want to do at univesity for definite yet, but possibly Econ or even PPE at Oxford (as a long-shot).
Reply 3
Sounds like you're studying the right subjects for those degrees. Good luck with your studies and hope you get onto the degree course you want!
Reply 4
Original post by Kingski
Sounds like you're studying the right subjects for those degrees. Good luck with your studies and hope you get onto the degree course you want!

Thanks :smile: I'm just relaxing after mock results this week and my Maths IGCSE on Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest