Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S1 question please help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    current mean: 21

"George's dad claims that he is spending too much time on the internet. He tells George to reduce his usage so that the mean daily time for May is 20% less than the current mean

What is the maximum total time George can spend surfing the internet for the remaining 10 days of May?"

This is the third part of a question and I have no idea how to do it!! If you need any other info from the rest of question/ the original question - I'll give it

Please help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batoot)
    current mean: 21

"George's dad claims that he is spending too much time on the internet. He tells George to reduce his usage so that the mean daily time for May is 20% less than the current mean

What is the maximum total time George can spend surfing the internet for the remaining 10 days of May?"

This is the third part of a question and I have no idea how to do it!! If you need any other info from the rest of question/ the original question - I'll give it

Please help
    How many days does the mean of 21 apply to? So how many hours were spent in total during that period?

What's 21 take away 20%?

Post the answers to these questions if you're still stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    How many days does the mean of 21 apply to? So how many hours were spent in total during that period?

What's 21 take away 20%?

Post the answers to these questions if you're still stuck.
    mean of 21 minutes applies to "the time he spends per day surfing the internet for the first three weeks of May. The times given to the nearest minute are as follows:
    0 0 0 5 10 12 13 15 16 16 17 18 21 24 26 26 32 35 61 73 "

i literally did 21 - 42 = 16.8 minutes before posting the question but I didn't think that was the answer cause it seems too simple?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    mean of 21 minutes applies to "the time he spends per day surfing the internet for the first three weeks of May. The times given to the nearest minute are as follows:
    0 0 0 5 10 12 13 15 16 16 17 18 21 24 26 26 32 35 61 73 "

i literally did 21 - 42 = 16.8 minutes before posting the question but I didn't think that was the answer cause it seems too simple?
    Can you post the full question?

You've only posted 20 numbers so can you check that.

You can do this question without the extra info. but it's best that you give all the information.

ReputationRep:
    Can you post the full question?

You've only posted 20 numbers so can you check that.

You can do this question without the extra info. but it's best that you give all the information.
    um the question only gives 20 numbers yh idk what that's about lol

"George records the time he spends per day surfing the internet for the first three weeks of May. The times, given to the nearest minute area as follows:
    0 26 13 5 18 12 35 24 61 16 10 26 15 0 0 73 21 17 16 42 32

i) find the mode, median, and mean, commenting on their relative usefulness as measure of central tendency for this data set (5 mks)

ii) Calculate the standard deviation (3 mks)

iii) George's dad claims that he is spending too much time on the internet. He tells George to reduce his usage so that the mean daily time for May is 20% less than the current mean.
    What is the maximum total time George can spend surfing the internet for the remaining 10 days of May? (3 mks) "
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    um the question only gives 20 numbers yh idk what that's about lol

"George records the time he spends per day surfing the internet for the first three weeks of May. The times, given to the nearest minute area as follows:
    0 26 13 5 18 12 35 24 61 16 10 26 15 0 0 73 21 17 16 42 32

i) find the mode, median, and mean, commenting on their relative usefulness as measure of central tendency for this data set (5 mks)

ii) Calculate the standard deviation (3 mks)

iii) George's dad claims that he is spending too much time on the internet. He tells George to reduce his usage so that the mean daily time for May is 20% less than the current mean.
    What is the maximum total time George can spend surfing the internet for the remaining 10 days of May? (3 mks) "
    That is 21 numbers Your previous post only had 20 numbers.

Firstly, your mean is wrong. Start by correcting that.

Then take 20% off this mean. This will give you the preferred mean over the full 31 days.

Then e.g. if the mean over 31 days was 15 then the total over these 31 days is 31 x 15.

You can use this to find the total over the last ten days.

Again, post all your working/ideas if you get stuck.

ReputationRep:
    That is 21 numbers Your previous post only had 20 numbers.

Firstly, your mean is wrong. Start by correcting that.

Then take 20% off this mean. This will give you the preferred mean over the full 31 days.

Then e.g. if the mean over 31 days was 15 then the total over these 31 days is 31 x 15.

You can use this to find the total over the last ten days.

Again, post all your working/ideas if you get stuck.
    fml I have to redo all the other parts

thank you sm (:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.