Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I form relationships at uni? advice really needed Watch

Announcements

Can anyone please offer some advice on how to meet girls/potential partners while at Uni? Uni is supposed to be the most social time of your life but I'm finding it quite impossible to meet people if you're not on the same course? How are there even any opportunities to meet potential dates? Most social events are stuff you go to with friends and then theres no real opportunity to meet people.

There's only 30 people in my class, most of whom are girls. I'm not particularly interested in or attracted to any of the girls in my class and I dont know how to meet girls who are in other courses/classes or make friends with people from other courses.

It sucks to be honest and I'v been feeling pretty down because of it.

I'd like to meet people and find someone I could potentially be in a relationship with but I dont know how if that person isn't in my class. And I'm not the kind of guy who's really good at or comfortable with just hitting on girls in a random bar/club because I find that awkward and I like to get to know someone a little bit before asking them out so that I know we'll have stuff in common etc

any advice would help

ReputationRep:
    Join societies and sports clubs

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many people meet at uni. As you said it's really hard to meet girls who are not on the same course as you.

But what's great at uni is that you can go out with uni friends. And that's basically when you can meet girls. Well, that's my opinion.

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    Hey thanks for the suggestions. I'v tried doing that but like i said for most events it just seems weird to show up by yourself. most people go with their friends

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried going to societies with your friends, and hanging out in occasions like house parties when people would bring their own friends? I met my boyfriend from a different course, different year through mutual friends, and we knew each other through societies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Dunno if its just cus of the societies I go to but quite a lot of them are old boys networks

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea. I can't even make friends at uni lol.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Can anyone please offer some advice on how to meet girls/potential partners while at Uni? Uni is supposed to be the most social time of your life but I'm finding it quite impossible to meet people if you're not on the same course? How are there even any opportunities to meet potential dates? Most social events are stuff you go to with friends and then theres no real opportunity to meet people.

There's only 30 people in my class, most of whom are girls. I'm not particularly interested in or attracted to any of the girls in my class and I dont know how to meet girls who are in other courses/classes or make friends with people from other courses.

It sucks to be honest and I'v been feeling pretty down because of it.

I'd like to meet people and find someone I could potentially be in a relationship with but I dont know how if that person isn't in my class. And I'm not the kind of guy who's really good at or comfortable with just hitting on girls in a random bar/club because I find that awkward and I like to get to know someone a little bit before asking them out so that I know we'll have stuff in common etc

any advice would help
    Exactly, social therefore people at uni are many fold more likely to find hookups rather than committed partners...

For myself I have given up the search at uni and I look outside of uni to find someone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.