Avshon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
does the concentration of an alkali affect how much acid is needed to neutralize it.
Edosawr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on the concentration of the acid. I think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HELPME!!!!!!!)
does the concentration of an alkali affect how much acid is needed to neutralize it.
Well a higher concentration of base will have more moles so more acid will be required to neutralise it. They key is the amount of moles of alkali. If you're working with consistent volumes of base then higher concentration of alkali will have more moles for than volume and so you'd need respectively increasing concentrations of acid.
Avshon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
Well a higher concentration of base will have more moles so more acid will be required to neutralise it. They key is the amount of moles of alkali. If you're working with consistent volumes of base then higher concentration of alkali will have more moles for than volume and so you'd need respectively increasing concentrations of acid.
If i were to keep the amount of alkali the same but changed the concentration of it, would i be able to change the volume of acid or would i have to change its concentration.
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HELPME!!!!!!!)
If i were to keep the amount of alkali the same but changed the concentration of it, would i be able to change the volume of acid or would i have to change its concentration.
If the amount of alkali was kept the same but the concentration was altered then what was being changed is the volume (so more or less dilute). As the amount of alkali is kept constant then amount of acid needed is kept the same.
Avshon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
If the amount of alkali was kept the same but the concentration was altered then what was being changed is the volume (so more or less dilute). As the amount of alkali is kept constant then amount of acid needed is kept the same.
sorry a bit confused.

Try this: 100ml of 0.1 mol alkali will take a certain amount of acid to neutralise it.
If i were to take 100ml of 0.2 mol alkali will the amount of acid needed increase, or would its mol have to increase.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?