The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Accomodation and Uni life

So Ive applied and got an offer on the Chemistry BSc course with ABB. I am intended to go to Nottingham however unsure about whether there will be people like me. When I say that I mean people that do go out but don't drink. I know its not what people typically do but that's who I am.

Also any tips on how to apply for accommodation and what should i take into mind when choosing a place.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Guls
So Ive applied and got an offer on the Chemistry BSc course with ABB. I am intended to go to Nottingham however unsure about whether there will be people like me. When I say that I mean people that do go out but don't drink. I know its not what people typically do but that's who I am.

Also any tips on how to apply for accommodation and what should i take into mind when choosing a place.

Hi, great that you got an offer, chemistry at Nottingham is really a good course you'll be sure to love it!

So as far as accommodation goes, basically the uni provides either catered (that is, 3 meals for each weekday and brunch and an evening meal on weekends) and self-catered accommodation, both options really do get students involved in a variety of different socials depending on what you're into so it really is just down to personal preference, see more here: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/accommodation/prospectivestudents/prospectivestudents.aspx

A thing I would say, because I was like you before i came to university, is that it's not all about the drinking! UoN has a fantastic range of different societies you can get involved with and there's bound to be something to match your interests, i'd suggest looking into some here and perhaps plan what you might want to try: http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/societies/

As a chemistry student, you'll be on quite an intensive course, but the majority of universities will cover generally the same content with a few minor differences, be prepared to put a lot more time into practicals! I can only speak for UoN, but we get a lot of support on our course from lecturers and tutors and are encouraged to be proactive and seek it out if needed.

I hope that helps to answer some of your questions, feel free to PM me if you have any more! :smile:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Does second year differ greatly from third year, will lectures be alot smaller for example?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anita-573
Does second year differ greatly from third year, will lectures be alot smaller for example?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I'm guessing you meant first year compared to second?
Yeah so the lecture size in first year is pretty large depending on the universities intake that year, and everyone on a chemistry course gets pooled into the same three core modules for organic, inorganic, and physical chemistry.

Of course, like all unis, some people do drop out or change course, and second year offers a wider variety of optional modules as well, so in general lectures are smaller but you'll usually see the same faces etc.

They're a bit like being in an educational cinema!

:smile:
Reply 4
I need help as well. I have received a conditional offer from Nottingham but since I won't know my results until August, I need to be smart and arrange my accommodation now, so I will not be left with the worst possible options at the end. Thus, I feel that my only option is to focus on private accommodation.
1) Is my perspective correct?
2) If so, where do you recommend I should stay? I am studying Law by the way. I don't know whether this makes a difference but I guess it does because I feel that in many universities there are different buildings in different distances where different lessons are taught.
Reply 5
advice, I basically skipped the whole off frost term with the exception of a few lectures and tutorials but the amount of classes I attended was minor, the second term has just begun and I am now attending regularly, even while I was absent from school I was completed online assignments and did my presentation, however I did not attend classes at all and am likely to fail 3/4 of my modules, I haven't heard anything from the school about my attendance, do I have cause to worry or should I just forget about it and start attending classes
Original post by Grigorios
I need help as well. I have received a conditional offer from Nottingham but since I won't know my results until August, I need to be smart and arrange my accommodation now, so I will not be left with the worst possible options at the end. Thus, I feel that my only option is to focus on private accommodation.
1) Is my perspective correct?
2) If so, where do you recommend I should stay? I am studying Law by the way. I don't know whether this makes a difference but I guess it does because I feel that in many universities there are different buildings in different distances where different lessons are taught.

Hi,

so the hall I stay in is quite near the law building actually (cavendish, about 5 minutes away) but for people living in houses the travel time isn't too bad (buses are readily available on and off campus, the transport system in general for Nottingham is really good!)

with respect to the choice of accommodation, if you're really set on moving into private accommodation (whilst personally i would recommend contacting the uni about hall options or viewing their website to see the options, the link is somewhere in this thread) then you can start by checking out:

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/studentprivatehalls/studentaccommodation_lphs_Nottingham.asp

and the uni-run associated housing catalogue: unipol

https://www.unipol.org.uk/home

There should be plenty of private accomodation available if that's what you want to choose, but i'd always recommend halls for the 1st year for the opportunity to meet people, and it's always going to be closer to campus amenities.

A final point (this applies to everyone), try not to worry about results too much, obviously for something competitive like law (and in general) you want to keep on top of your game for your A level finals, but don't be pressured by the timing to sell yourselves short on choices of where to live, if you get decent grades and you FIRM Nottingham (i.e they know you have to come here first if you make the grades) then there shouldn't be an issue. :smile:

Hope some of that helps!
Original post by Jjisking
advice, I basically skipped the whole off frost term with the exception of a few lectures and tutorials but the amount of classes I attended was minor, the second term has just begun and I am now attending regularly, even while I was absent from school I was completed online assignments and did my presentation, however I did not attend classes at all and am likely to fail 3/4 of my modules, I haven't heard anything from the school about my attendance, do I have cause to worry or should I just forget about it and start attending classes

I'd advise that you speak to your personal tutor regarding your course and talk about your options, maybe you can get some form of mitigation if you discuss the reasons why you didn't show up? But definitely if you can attend, attend.
Reply 8
Hey guys I need some advice too. I have taken a gap year (currently in Peru) and I'm getting ready to start picking my accommodation for this year. However, I can't visit the uni cause of my visa (working on it now). I really don't know what dorms are better! I'm thinking about self- catered since I love to cook, but I don't know which is the nicest looking? Somewhere where there is a gym nearby and just nice lighting and enviorment overall but has to have a great gym! I'm thinking about Broadgate possibly en-suite or twin-en suite studio but not sure since I'm horrible at sharing and I don't know anyone there, wouldn't want to be paired up with someone I don't get along. How about rooms are University Park (I know that' catered) or Raleigh Park? No idea. If someone could help that would be great! Also, are the prices of the catered rooms including the food costs? (If that makes any sense)
Thanks!
Original post by Guls

pretty much all the halls and private accomodation in notts is loud and youll be surrounded by drinkers but find somewhere close to uni or near a bus/tram stop

Quick Reply

Latest