How many names + dates should I learn for Sociology AS (AQA)? Watch

LenniesRabbit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
There are over 100 names in the textbook, surely not all of them are needed for answers. How do you decide which ones are key and which arent? Also, is it necessary to learn dates as well?
Workangel_24
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LenniesRabbit)
There are over 100 names in the textbook, surely not all of them are needed for answers. How do you decide which ones are key and which arent? Also, is it necessary to learn dates as well?
Firstly which textbook are you using? I am using the new Napier Press Sociology textbook. And I don't think we need to learn all of the theorists but it is useful to learn a number of them. Maybe if you find all the theorists and categorise them into the different theories e.g. Functionalists - Parson, Marxists - Althusser etc. You can then select the key theorists that way. You could also ask your teacher as well.

With dates, I think it's not absolutely necessary but if you want to learn it then go on. Where you really have to learn the dates is maybe in the social policies section for the laws e.g. 1988 National Curriculum Act etc.

Hope this helps. And btw what section are you studying now? I've finished families and households and doing education now.
LenniesRabbit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, yeah we use the Napier red ones for the new Sociology spec. We are on Demography at the moment then childhood next. For education its crazy because there are so many names its ridiculous! Do you have any advice for learning them at all?
E.g. do you just copy the theories out over and over or?
abbievictoria
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aim to remember them all because you gain points for name dropping, but don't fret if there's some you can't remember, just make sure the theories are explained well and you will do fine. Dates aren't essential for theories but are for reform acts and polices etc, however if you include dates for theories you can often evaluate them for being outdated which is such a simple evaluation point

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.21%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.07%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (58)
14.95%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.9%

Watched Threads