Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think the police are a good thing or not? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt_Haytham)
    How he acted doesn't concern you... it was his discretion (i.e his choice).

You shouldn't be eating, drinking, smoking or talking on the phone when at the wheel. Talking on the phone is against the law, but it is up to the police officer to choose whether he thinks you might be endangering those in the car and around you. Don't be mad.
    Yeah but when they get that coveted police job and put that uniform on they think it gives them the right to do as they like without any human compassion and zero common sense. We used to think of them as public servants that helped society but instead they often bully society.

I once visited Russia and the police there were harsh but I don't think they'd ruin someone's life over eating a banana in a car that wasn't even moving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidguettafan)
    Why did you put the police in quotes in the original post?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because it's the subject of the post my, theology tutor at college always advised when doing essays, we put the 'subject' in quotation marks. The subject in this case in 'The Police'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Yeah but when they get that coveted police job and put that uniform on they think it gives them the right to do as they like without any human compassion and zero common sense. We used to think of them as public servants that helped society but instead they often bully society.

I once visited Russia and the police there were harsh but I don't think they'd ruin someone's life over eating a banana in a car that wasn't even moving.
    He was doing his job. Full stop.

Did the woman sue him?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's the subject of the post my, theology tutor at college always advised when doing essays, we put the 'subject' in quotation marks. The subject in this case in 'The Police'
    I see

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if she was called Anna the judge could have said ....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    have a ban, Anna

:hat2:
    Very good lol

ReputationRep:
    Na, the police are awful, why would we need anyone to stop criminals when we can just do as we please?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Sarcasm disclosed here.

ReputationRep:
    He was doing his job. Full stop.

Did the woman sue him?
    I don't know if she sued him, I only read the article yesterday. But the point is most police officers would have given her a telling off and a fine. But this officer decided to act clever.

Maybe it wasn't entirely his fault, maybe there are targets and he hadn't arrested enough people in the last week or so and feared being made redundant, but that doesn't help the poor woman who will be marked for life with a record, unable to work in healthcare, or in schools, banks or positions of responsibility or have a family holiday in the US. All over a banana in a stationary car.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if she sued him, I only read the article yesterday. But the point is most police officers would have given her a telling off and a fine. But this officer decided to act clever.

Maybe it wasn't entirely his fault, maybe there are targets and he hadn't arrested enough people in the last week or so and feared being made redundant, but that doesn't help the poor woman who will be marked for life with a record, unable to work in healthcare, or in schools, banks or positions of responsibility or have a family holiday in the US. All over a banana in a stationary car.
    You're being ridiculous.

I refer to my previous point: there is a time and place to eat (a banana), but it's not in a car.

ReputationRep:
    General, yes.

ReputationRep:

As far as I'm aware, for people that have been to prison for a period not exceeding 6 months, a criminal conviction is only on record for 7 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieran12321LFC)
    As far as I'm aware, for people that have been to prison for a period not exceeding 6 months, a criminal conviction is only on record for 7 years
    But it still shows up on an advanced CRB check when applying jobs such as teaching, working with miners, positions of financial responsobulety such as banks etc. These jobs are exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.

ReputationRep:
    But it still shows up on an advanced CRB check when applying jobs such as teaching, working with miners, positions of financial responsibility such as banks etc. These jobs are exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.
    Well at least she won't eat a banana behind the wheel again

ReputationRep:
    You're being ridiculous.

I refer to my previous point: there is a time and place to eat (a banana), but it's not in a car.
    How I'm I being ridiculous? I only said that a lot of officers would have let the matter go with a telling off a warning and/or fine. She'd have got the message. And I'm sure many other motorists have got away with it too.

In the time it took to process the arrest more serious criminals such as muggers or people carrying knives could have been dealt with instead.

ReputationRep:
    But it still shows up on an advanced CRB check when applying jobs such as teaching, working with miners, positions of financial responsobulety such as banks etc. These jobs are exempt from the rehabilitation of offenders act.
    miners.
    ffs, I can't keep my face straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpe Diem Jay)
    Damn, poor woman

Of course we need the police. Some officers may be dicks, but in the bigger picture they are imperative to our safety.

Would you rather have a lawless, anarchist society?
    Survival of the fittest isn't good for our society or our human race in general

ReputationRep:
    I too, think that we should remove our protective and preventative force because one member was a bit of an idiot.

Also, please link this article?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    I too, think that we should remove our protective and preventative force because one member was a bit of an idiot.

Also, please link this article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ana-wheel.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.