Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I take biology chemistry physics and maths at AS Level and i really would like to study medicine. My parents are telling me its very difficult to get into medicine and they actually want me to continue to take all 4 subjects for A2 to be ahead of the competition. The thing is im really struggling in physics and i want to drop it after AS. Will i be disadvantaged if i do 3 A2 levels instead of all 4 or do unis not look at the fourth one? Please help
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julesaquilina)
    I take biology chemistry physics and maths at AS Level and i really would like to study medicine. My parents are telling me its very difficult to get into medicine and they actually want me to continue to take all 4 subjects for A2 to be ahead of the competition. The thing is im really struggling in physics and i want to drop it after AS. Will i be disadvantaged if i do 3 A2 levels instead of all 4 or do unis not look at the fourth one? Please help
    Nope, you're much wiser to drop. Doing 4 is only beneficial for applying to Barts, and you need AAA (you don't want to overburden yourself and end up with AABB which won't be good enough). Doing 4 offers no advantage at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Nope, you're much wiser to drop. Doing 4 is only beneficial for applying to Barts, and you need AAA (you don't want to overburden yourself and end up with AABB which won't be good enough). Doing 4 offers no advantage at all!
    i agree with you totally the thing is ive just done mocks and i got AAAC (c in physics) but i was one mark off a b but i still feel weak in it. My parents are encouraging me to challenge myself and do 4 to be ahead of everyone else. How could i tell them that theyre being a bit unrealistic cuz they dont seem to understand. Theyre always saying how they know people with 5 A2 levels at A grade and didnt get into medicine and someone who got 12 A*s in gcse and they expect me to be like them to have half a chance to get in!! I really think i should drop physics and carry on with bio chem and maths

ReputationRep:
    I agree with ForestCat. If you were very likely to score straight A*s then by all means continue four A-levels. However, a single very bad grade (e.g. a "C") would disrupt a string of As and there is also a risk of all your grades slipping because you were trying to keep up in a subject you aren't getting along with.

In terms of other people not getting in, this is either bad luck or simply a reflection of the fact that grades are only part of the application. Your parents are wrong this time!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    i agree with you totally the thing is ive just done mocks and i got AAAC (c in physics) but i was one mark off a b but i still feel weak in it. My parents are encouraging me to challenge myself and do 4 to be ahead of everyone else. How could i tell them that theyre being a bit unrealistic cuz they dont seem to understand. Theyre always saying how they know people with 5 A2 levels at A grade and didnt get into medicine and someone who got 12 A*s in gcse and they expect me to be like them to have half a chance to get in!! I really think i should drop physics and carry on with bio chem and maths
    You need to do whats right for you. Medicine will be challenging enough you don't need to struggle through a-levels. There is no point carrying on physics if its your weaker subject. Like I said, it would give you no benefit except at Barts. You'd be better off focussing on entrance exams, work experience and getting the all important AAA in your other subjects.

Sadly, the majority of applicants don't get offers first time around, but thats for multiple reasons. When the time comes, you'll need to apply strategically to stand the best chance of getting in (i.e. if your GCSEs/UKCAT are good apply to GCSE/UKCAT heavy schools).

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I got 7A* 6A* B at GCSE and then abbb at AS, also with an a in the EPQ. I dropped maths (B) and carried on with chemistry, biology and business studies this year and am predicted A*AA. I've got two interviews for medical school so clearly 4 A2 gives no huge advantage and obviously neither does physics. My advice is to carry on with 3 next year and may be appease your parents by doing an EPQ because med schools love that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I fully support what the others say. Do 3xA2 and get AAA. The people who don't get in with grades like your parents quote did not get rejected AFTER their results but before and that's because of poor interviews, poor voluntary work etc. Not academics. You will NOT be ahead of the others, just struggling. MOST A2 candidates are doing 3xA2. (plus voluntary work etc.) PM me if you want. I am happy to help as I have experience of this type of thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.