Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    pl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ii220)
    I'm thinking about going to the Oxford Royale Summer school this year to gain a little more experience on how medicine is taught in universities and also get tips and help on areas such as the UKCAT and BMAT. Do you think it will also give me an edge on the application such as the Personal Statment?
    It might. BUT, you would be better to focus on quality voluntary work, do some research yourself on the universities and UKCAT and BMAT and maybe do a course on them. Your personal statement needs filled up with voluntary work, extra-curriculars, work experience (if possible) and your reflections on what you've seen and done. I've just looked this up and it's very focussed on Oxford & Cambridge and it's incredibly expensive. You'd be better looking at specific courses for UKCAT or BMAT and doing research yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. You'd need to come up with something particularly essential / unique at this course that you could talk about / reflect on in order for it to be worth talking about in your personal statement. Probably better to use your limited word count to talk about what you learnt during voluntary / work experience / similar - you'd be surprised how difficult it is to fit everything into s limited word count. As I'm sure you know, justing listing it as something you did won't achieve anything.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.