Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA AS Biology 7401/1 and 7401/2 Exam - 26th May and 7th June 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafiuddin)
    something like maltose concentration increased up to day 10, so shows growth as more cells, more SPS, more starch broken down, after 10 no growth as maltose concentration remained the same
    I said up to 10 days, rate increases, because culture expands, i.e. more substrate made. After 10, more substrate doesn't increase rate because enzyme concentration doesn't change. I'm not convinced I'm right.

ReputationRep:
    I completely blanked on that dilution factor question, I have no clue how to do that, if anyone could point out how to do that that would be great. Also wth is a T test I've never heard of it and it's most certainly not in the Textbook my school uses. Overall it wasn't a bad exam, just things here and there, some of the questions I thought were a bit ambiguous

ReputationRep:
    i was doing well but then i looked at the clock. I did the last questions 7,8&9 in 15 minutes and i finished with one more word left to write.

ReputationRep:
    I think i pulled off a U, now im gonna be resitting the whole year😦😦😦

ReputationRep:
    Dear AQA , the exam sat by students on the 26th of may new spec,was detrimental, no assessment of specification content questioned, its clearly stated in the specification that all 4 topics would be assessed yet all I could gather from that exam was that the exam producer had a severe obsession of cells. Please evaluate your future papers as AS students are not all of the top grade calibre. I would advise you to lower your grade boundaries so some students can at least obtain an E. Your sincerely a student who could've written a thesis on revision notes.Sent from my iPhone

sent this to AQA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.name)
    I said up to 10 days, rate increases, because culture expands, i.e. more substrate made. After 10, more substrate doesn't increase rate because enzyme concentration doesn't change. I'm not convinced I'm right.
    your second part makes more sense then saying no growth, think you're right

ReputationRep:
    Does reverse transcriptases in HIV virus uses DNA polymerase in anyway, during the inserting and replication of the viral gene containing DNA in the nucleus of host cell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.name)
    The cell wall one. I said, it polymerises b-glucose monomers. Probably wrong.
    Enzyme as it mentioned a substrate

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me what some of the questions were on please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clintbarton)
    I think I did too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Got like 9.6 HAHA how did you guys get 10. Something?? Did you draw a tangent at 10?

ReputationRep:
    i got 9.7

ReputationRep:
    I hate myself lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason.CCY)
    Does reverse transcriptases in HIV virus uses DNA polymerase in anyway, during the inserting and replication of the viral gene containing DNA in the nucleus of host cell?
    I think you just had to talk about the HIV DNA strand acting as a template for semi conservative replication and then talk about the steps - reverse transcriptase is used to create the hybrid HIV-DNA strand and the question stated it had already been created, a complementary strand was the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moshe015)
    i got 9.7
    Same!!

ReputationRep:
    Q1) dna, HIV REPLICATION
    Q2) LIPIDS AND phospholipids
    Q3) TRANSPORT ACROSS THE MEMBRANE
    Q4) MITOCHONDRIA AND ATP
    Q5) BENEDICTS TEST AND STARCH HYDROLYSIS
    Q6) MITOSIS AND CANCER PREVENTION
    Q7) SUCROSE HYDROLYSIS
    Q8) VACINES AND IMMUNITY
    Q9) application
    there u hv it guys all the topics that came up, hopefully now we can mainly and solely revise hard on the topics that didnt come up and expect the to be on the paper 2 , i still advice everyone to still go through the topics that came up in paper 1 as they may still be application questions relating to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason.CCY)
    think you read the question wrong, i wrote about the free dna nucleotides forming complementary base pairs and so on, since they had already told us that the first DNA strand was already made, and wanted to know how the second strand was made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tobyharding3)
    Enzyme as it mentioned a substrate
    Yes, I added, it acts like an enzyme.

ReputationRep:
    I got around 9.2, they might make give a range of answer for that question because everyone will have drawn a slightly different tangent :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rehmanator)
    Dear AQA , the exam sat by students on the 26th of may new spec,was detrimental, no assessment of specification content , questioned its clearly stated in the specification that all 4 topics would be assessed yet all I could gather from that exam was that the exam producer had a severe obsession of cells. Please evaluate your future papers as AS students are not all of the top grade calibre. I would advise you to lower your grade boundaries so some students can at least obtain an E. Your sincerely a student who could've written a thesis on revision notes.Sent from my iPhone

sent this to AQA
    why are you over exaggerating??? clearly everything that came up was on the specification and in the book apart from the alzhemier question which was application, you are over reacting mildly maybe u wasnt prepared for the exam???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemondtan)
    Same!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.