The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology 7401/1 and 7401/2 Exam - 26th May and 7th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hello_987123
What did people put for the how the widening of the vessel decrease the pressure? 2(marks)

higher volume, lower overall pressure
also more blood can leave the heart after each pump
something like that
Original post by rafiuddin
up to active site, i think its fine, i wrote the same

Not u meant to just say complementary shape so can't form antibody - antigen complex I wrote not complementary active site so can't form e-s complez. Ffs the amount of errors I made is unbelivwe ke
up to active site, i think its fine, i wrote the same

Original post by Asad_2015
Was it I wrote, changes primary structure as changed mRNA therefore change tertiary therefore different active site therefore not complementary, ... I think active site wasn't meant to be sed ****kkkkk 😂😂

Same here, wrote about the different structures changing and instead of writing about active sites, wrote the HIV will no attack the Th (T helper) cell and won't be used as a host to replicate.
Original post by maggiedavies
Same here, wrote about the different structures changing and instead of writing about active sites, wrote the HIV will no attack the Th (T helper) cell and won't be used as a host to replicate.

Yes t helper cells aren't destroyed so aids doesn't happen
Original post by ShenelW
What did people write for the phosphate embryo question? I wrote that the phosphate increases the mass of the plant so it has a lower surface area to volume ratio so less heat is loss by evaporation so it can maintain a constant internal temperature

from the answers already written in this thread

it was something like phospates are used in the phospholipid bilayer, ATP, DNA, RNA, so more of it means more of the things mentioned, showing growth

something like that
pretty sure thats wrong coz you dont if all the bacteria wouldnt have been killed, the circle would have been larger, but may have not gotten that big

What did you write for the variables which should be controlled when using the paper discs?
And for the Q about the precautions that should be taken for the FEV?
Unofficial mark scheme anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right lad and ladettes, I think it went terribly, but I'll tell you all my answers, for you to criticise at your leisure (not too much please, lol). No, but seriously, honesty would be appreciated. They're in no particular order, just in the way that I can remember them.

1. Leaf question, about its ability to withstand sudden changes in weather. This stumped me. But in the moment of panic, I splurged the following. Graph shows that it is suited to embryonic growth in colder weather. And thus (this was a massive leap; perhaps unjustified), in the summer, as it cannot do this, it pollinates. Therefore, in whatever case, if the weather becomes hotter or colder, the plant can always do one of grow its embryo or pollinate more efficiently. Thus it's always functional. Yes, I don't know much about plant biology, outside the confines of this spec, so while writing this, it did feel like a huge leap of faith. What do you guys think? Is it plausible?

2. FEV question, to do with mean percentage. Why does it decrease, why emphysema may tire older people who are trying to climb stairs. For its decrease, I said that a persons intercostal muscles would weaken. And for the older people, the following. Emphysema reduces FEV. Therefore, amount of air that can be exhaled in a set time. And this is similar to amount that can be inhaled: it also decreases. A person trying to climb stairs will under greater respiratory demands. Because less oxygen can be taken in, not enough oxygen can assimilated to deal with the physical stress.

3. Phosphate importance. It is a part of DNA nucleotides. Therefore, a greater supply of free nucleotides will speed up replication. This is a part of division and cell growth. And it's a part of ATP. Of course, its important in active processes. I was going to write about bilayers, but only after I had put down the two points; I think its a safer answer than my first. But what do y'all think?

4. Disinfectant. Ratio, I used the diameters. I think use of radius and area would yield the same answer, because they all contain common factors. I measured D's diameter as 24mm and B's as 13mm. Thus producing a factor of 1.6 to 2SF. The one about the paper also stumped me. I said keep the diameter of the papers the same. And, secondly, though this was really a shot in the dark, make sure each paper is equally daubed in disinfectant.

5. Transpiration usage. I said some is taken up by cells. And some other is used in photosynthesis.

6. Beetle's q. Comment on SD: I said no overlaps so we certainly know that organic farms have the most beetles; then intensive farm and finally, grazed.

7. Bird species. Hedges are a habitat for some prey. When they go away, some prey will die. Thus reduced food supply for birds. Greater interspecific competition, where better adapted species will survive and less will die, to reduce biodiversity. For example, some species may have food sources not a part of the community in the hedge. They will survive over those who had only that single source, from the hedges.

That's all I can remember now. Let me know what you guys think, pls. You guys are the closest thing that I have to an unofficial mark scheme.

Overall, it went badly, but hey ho. Hopefully GB will be low.
from the answers already written in this thread

it was something like phospates are used in the phospholipid bilayer, ATP, DNA, RNA, so more of it means more of the things mentioned, showing growth

something like that

I wrote DNA copied mitosis meiosis needed for nucleotides,

And needed for RNA due to nucleotides because of rna codes for protein therefore grown :/ think I repeated myself
Not u meant to just say complementary shape so can't form antibody - antigen complex I wrote not complementary active site so can't form e-s complez. Ffs the amount of errors I made is unbelivwe ke

It wasn't an enzyme or an antibody.
Reply 950
Original post by kiwifruit99
Unofficial mark scheme anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hard to make unofficial mark schemes as questions are wordy and even then there may be a variety of answers
Reply 951
I wrote about allele and mutations -_- when it sed adapt and wrote about extreme phenotypes selected and directional shift ;( what's wrong with me ugh

What was the actual question for this one do you remember?
Original post by Hello_987123
I think I got 2.9 , and I also think it was asking about how many more times it was bigger

Yeah I think I got a similar value. Do you think they will have a range of answers on their mark scheme?
For the HIV question, I didn't talk about mRNA. I said that there is a change in the amino acid sequence, leading to the bonding in the tertiary structure to change. So differed wbu bonds are formed. As a result, the quarterny structure changes in a way that the receptor is no longer complimentary to the antigens of the HIV. As a result it is no longer functional. I didn't talk about splicing or translation. Would I get half the marks or not?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by G.name
Right lad and ladettes, I think it went terribly, but I'll tell you all my answers, for you to criticise at your leisure (not too much please, lol). No, but seriously, honesty would be appreciated. They're in no particular order, just in the way that I can remember them.

1. Leaf question, about its ability to withstand sudden changes in weather. This stumped me. But in the moment of panic, I splurged the following. Graph shows that it is suited to embryonic growth in colder weather. And thus (this was a massive leap; perhaps unjustified), in the summer, as it cannot do this, it pollinates. Therefore, in whatever case, if the weather becomes hotter or colder, the plant can always do one of grow its embryo or pollinate more efficiently. Thus it's always functional. Yes, I don't know much about plant biology, outside the confines of this spec, so while writing this, it did feel like a huge leap of faith. What do you guys think? Is it plausible?

2. FEV question, to do with mean percentage. Why does it decrease, why emphysema may tire older people who are trying to climb stairs. For its decrease, I said that a persons intercostal muscles would weaken. And for the older people, the following. Emphysema reduces FEV. Therefore, amount of air that can be exhaled in a set time. And this is similar to amount that can be inhaled: it also decreases. A person trying to climb stairs will under greater respiratory demands. Because less oxygen can be taken in, not enough oxygen can assimilated to deal with the physical stress.

3. Phosphate importance. It is a part of DNA nucleotides. Therefore, a greater supply of free nucleotides will speed up replication. This is a part of division and cell growth. And it's a part of ATP. Of course, its important in active processes. I was going to write about bilayers, but only after I had put down the two points; I think its a safer answer than my first. But what do y'all think?

4. Disinfectant. Ratio, I used the diameters. I think use of radius and area would yield the same answer, because they all contain common factors. I measured D's diameter as 24mm and B's as 13mm. Thus producing a factor of 1.6 to 2SF. The one about the paper also stumped me. I said keep the diameter of the papers the same. And, secondly, though this was really a shot in the dark, make sure each paper is equally daubed in disinfectant.

5. Transpiration usage. I said some is taken up by cells. And some other is used in photosynthesis.

6. Beetle's q. Comment on SD: I said no overlaps so we certainly know that organic farms have the most beetles; then intensive farm and finally, grazed.

7. Bird species. Hedges are a habitat for some prey. When they go away, some prey will die. Thus reduced food supply for birds. Greater interspecific competition, where better adapted species will survive and less will die, to reduce biodiversity. For example, some species may have food sources not a part of the community in the hedge. They will survive over those who had only that single source, from the hedges.

That's all I can remember now. Let me know what you guys think, pls. You guys are the closest thing that I have to an unofficial mark scheme.

Overall, it went badly, but hey ho. Hopefully GB will be low.

ratio one, you don't actually get the same if you use area, which is what was supposed to be used afaik,

seasonal change one - i wrote about how it'll flower in time for spring and that cold temps usually means rain/snow - water used in photosynthesis, also brings in minerals and vitamins from soil (second part is probably wrong)

everything else seems good
Reply 955
How many marks for what was clear zone caused by and also for Q above 40% detergent not used?
I wrote DNA copied mitosis meiosis needed for nucleotides,

And needed for RNA due to nucleotides because of rna codes for protein therefore grown :/ think I repeated myself

What did people get the ratio, about the gradient or something I think I got 3.3:1
Original post by Abirella
Yeah I think I got a similar value. Do you think they will have a range of answers on their mark scheme?

90% sure they will, it's hard to get an exact diameter of a circle free hand
Original post by SM-
How many marks for what was clear zone caused by and also for Q above 40% detergent not used?

both 1 mark i think
Reply 959
Original post by G.name

The factor would be 1.6^2 = 2.6 as area = pi r^2
For the paper one I put that the material used for the discs should remain the same as well as the diameter.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending