Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA AS Biology 7401/1 and 7401/2 Exam - 26th May and 7th June 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abirella)
    Yeah I think I got a similar value. Do you think they will have a range of answers on their mark scheme?
    90% sure they will, it's hard to get an exact diameter of a circle free hand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SM-)
    How many marks for what was clear zone caused by and also for Q above 40% detergent not used?
    both 1 mark i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.name)

4. Disinfectant. Ratio, I used the diameters. I think use of radius and area would yield the same answer, because they all contain common factors. I measured D's diameter as 24mm and B's as 13mm. Thus producing a factor of 1.6 to 2SF. The one about the paper also stumped me. I said keep the diameter of the papers the same. And, secondly, though this was really a shot in the dark, make sure each paper is equally daubed in disinfectant.
    The factor would be 1.6^2 = 2.6 as area = pi r^2
    For the paper one I put that the material used for the discs should remain the same as well as the diameter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rafiuddin)
    90% sure they will, it's hard to get an exact diameter of a circle free hand
    Yeah I hope so.

ReputationRep:
    what was the area around the letters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello_987123)
    What did people get the ratio, about the gradient or something I think I got 3.3:1
    got 3.86 ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Questioness)
    For the HIV question, I didn't talk about mRNA. I said that there is a change in the amino acid sequence, leading to the bonding in the tertiary structure to change. So differed wbu bonds are formed. As a result, the quarterny structure changes in a way that the receptor is no longer complimentary to the antigens of the HIV. As a result it is no longer functional. I didn't talk about splicing or translation. Would I get half the marks or not?
    for 4 marks there'll be loads of points you can have. as long as you have 4 of them you should be fine. amino acid sequence, change in bonding, change in tertiary structure and therefore change in active site. You should have 4 points there but idk how picky mark scheme is

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys write about the question why the scientists drew the conclusion, it was about HIV and natural selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harris07826)
    what was the area around the letters
    dont remember the exact areas, but the amount it was bigger by was around 2.9 (should be a range of roughly 2.5-3.5 since it's hard to get an exact diameter)

ReputationRep:
    Well I've failed biology now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the white area around the letters.
    what was it called
    it was the first part of that question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigocarn)
    What did you guys write about the question why the scientists drew the conclusion, it was about HIV and natural selection.
    people with HIV can still have babies (despite the parent not being naturally selected)
    people with HIV can survive under medical/quarantine conditions (probs wrong)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harris07826)
    the white area around the letters.
    what was it called
    it was the first part of that question
    clear zones

ReputationRep:
    got 3.86 ish
    I got 1.5 to 4 which I doubled out to 3 to 8. I have no clue if that's right, my maths is terrible, but it seemed to fit while I was working it out.

ReputationRep:
    ratio one, you don't actually get the same if you use area, which is what was supposed to be used afaik,

seasonal change one - i wrote about how it'll flower in time for spring and that cold temps usually means rain/snow - water used in photosynthesis, also brings in minerals and vitamins from soil (second part is probably wrong)

everything else seems good
    Nice. I'm only worried that I wont get a lot of marks. These mark schemes seem absurdly picky.

For seasonal change, flowering makes sense. It sound like a standard answer. Mine extrapolated a bit wrongly.

Ratios. Of course! because you square the radii. Damn. That was tricky.

Can you remember any more difficult ones. And thanks for the vote of confidence!

What do you think GB will be?

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial mark scheme anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why are people talking about enzymes 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memoriial)
    I got 1.5 to 4 which I doubled out to 3 to 8. I have no clue if that's right, my maths is terrible, but it seemed to fit while I was working it out.
    for ratios, you're supposed to get something:1
    so doubling it doesn't work since none of your numbers is a 1

ReputationRep:
    from the answers already written in this thread

it was something like phospates are used in the phospholipid bilayer, ATP, DNA, RNA, so more of it means more of the things mentioned, showing growth

something like that
    Sorry I meant for the one about seasonal changes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.name)
    Nice. I'm only worried that I wont get a lot of marks. These mark schemes seem absurdly picky.

For seasonal change, flowering makes sense. It sound like a standard answer. Mine extrapolated a bit wrongly.

Ratios. Of course! because you square the radii. Damn. That was tricky.

Can you remember any more difficult ones. And thanks for the vote of confidence!

What do you think GB will be?
    i'm gonna go out on a limb and say around 58/57 for A
    52 for B
    (don't care about anything below this )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.