Koala9
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
'If God is omnipotent, and creates everything, he is responsible for everything.' Discuss.

I don't understand where I am supposed to go with this. Do I talk about God's time being different and bring in people like Boethius, or do I talk about the different definitions, such as God is able to do anything even the logically impossible, and bring in Descartes etc? I just can't understand how to answer this question.
Thanks
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Koala9)
'If God is omnipotent, and creates everything, he is responsible for everything.' Discuss.

I don't understand where I am supposed to go with this. Do I talk about God's time being different and bring in people like Boethius, or do I talk about the different definitions, such as God is able to do anything even the logically impossible, and bring in Descartes etc? I just can't understand how to answer this question.
Thanks
The key word here, surely, is responsible. What range of meanings could you give to it? How would each of these meanings affect the way you answer the question? At one end of the scale, God as creator might be considered "responsible" for creation in the sense that a craftsman is "responsible" for what he has made. At the other end of the scale you might argue that the creation of things as they are makes God morally responsible for their behaviour. Lurking here, of course, is the so-called problem of evil.

Of course, in classical theism the idea of God being a moral agent (in the same way that we are moral agents) is a nonsense (see Davies's "The Reaity of God and the Problem of Evil", for details). But you might like to discuss whether we can say this of God is some sort of analogical sense.

Does that help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.42%
I'm not sure (32)
4.21%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
31.18%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.37%
I'm not a current university student (371)
48.82%

Watched Threads