Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I tell him? Watch

Announcements

I know there are quite a few of these threads around, but I'm really inexperienced when it comes to dating.

There is this guy that I kinda have a crush on, we have similar tastes in quite a lot of stuff and also have a similar background. I haven't spoken to him much because he makes me shy and I never know what to say to him. He is a really great guy and he is always helping others which I love.

I don't know whether I should tell him I like him and make things awkward if he doesn't feel the same way or just ignore how I feel and hope I can get over him?

Tell him "Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved"

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Tell him "Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved"
    I don't think that applies in this situation.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Of course!

Life's too short to bottle these things up :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think you should maybe try to subtly flirt with him and see how he reacts. Nothing big but enough to maybe insinuate some sort of interest in him? If he seems to respond then it's a good sign and it can maybe progress to you telling him. If not, play it cool once again and be friendly. It's difficult because I personally would never tell a guy I liked him unless I was definitely sure he had an interest in me. If you're feeling gutsy and strong about him - go for it. He sounds like he's pretty compatible with you, which is always a great start

(Original post by valkyrie-grey)
    I think you should maybe try to subtly flirt with him and see how he reacts. Nothing big but enough to maybe insinuate some sort of interest in him? If he seems to respond then it's a good sign and it can maybe progress to you telling him. If not, play it cool once again and be friendly. It's difficult because I personally would never tell a guy I liked him unless I was definitely sure he had an interest in me. If you're feeling gutsy and strong about him - go for it. He sounds like he's pretty compatible with you, which is always a great start
    Well I did flirt with him a bit, but I don't think he got the hint or he doesn't feel the same. It's so annoying that I get shy around him, I can talk to other guys easily but not him.

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    Of course!

Life's too short to bottle these things up :yep:
    Since you're the only guy who has responded... how would you react if a girl told you she liked you but you didn't feel the same way?

ReputationRep:
    Well I did flirt with him a bit, but I don't think he got the hint or he doesn't feel the same. It's so annoying that I get shy around him, I can talk to other guys easily but not him.
    How long have you known the guy, can I ask? Sometimes it takes them a while to notice, I've had that happen a few times. It could also be that if you're shy, he's, like you said, not realising that it's flirty or may be unsure and he himself doesn't want to try anything in case it's awkward. It's a shame we can't read other people's minds at times cause it would make situations like this a lot easier, hahah. I think it just takes time and trying to deduce the person and their actions..
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Since you're the only guy who has responded... how would you react if a girl told you she liked you but you didn't feel the same way?
    I think it'd be best to respond in the most appreciative, understanding and sensitive manner possible. I certainly wouldn't want to give rise to any awkwardness.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    If you're crushing on them and they don't feel the same way or you don't want to tell them, you should give yourself some distance.

Instead of telling him that you like him, perhaps you could ask him out to somewhere?

How long have you known the guy, can I ask? Sometimes it takes them a while to notice, I've had that happen a few times. It could also be that if you're shy, he's, like you said, not realising that it's flirty or may be unsure and he himself doesn't want to try anything in case it's awkward. It's a shame we can't read other people's minds at times cause it would make situations like this a lot easier, hahah. I think it just takes time and trying to deduce the person and their actions..
    Not long, it seems like a stupid crush but I've never really liked anyone like I do him. What if I say I've never met him irl? I can't believe this is happening to me...I never thought I would crush on someone like this.

ReputationRep:
    Not long, it seems like a stupid crush but I've never really liked anyone like I do him. What if I say I've never met him irl? I can't believe this is happening to me...I never thought I would crush on someone like this.
    Oh wait, is this someone online? I'm curious to know what 'like this' means.....

Oh wait, is this someone online? I'm curious to know what 'like this' means.....
    Yes unfortunately. I've never had feelings for anyone as strong as this.

(Original post by Indeterminate)
    I think it'd be best to respond in the most appreciative, understanding and sensitive manner possible. I certainly wouldn't want to give rise to any awkwardness.
    Hopefully he will do the same.

(Original post by SeanFM)
    If you're crushing on them and they don't feel the same way or you don't want to tell them, you should give yourself some distance.

Instead of telling him that you like him, perhaps you could ask him out to somewhere?
    I think I'm going to need to put some distance between us.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that applies in this situation.
    Yeah it doesn't really.

How about this pearl of wisdom from the Butthole Surfers?

"Daddy, what does regret mean?
    Well son, the funny thing about regret is,
    It's better to regret something you have done,
    Than to regret something you haven't done.
    And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend,
    Be sure and tell her, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN!!!"
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully he will do the same.

I think I'm going to need to put some distance between us.

:console:

It you want to try and it's online, just get to know him a bit more of you can, then get his number or his Skype if he still impresses you.

(Original post by Raskolnikov.)
    Yeah it doesn't really.

How about this pearl of wisdom from the Butthole Surfers?

"Daddy, what does regret mean?
    Well son, the funny thing about regret is,
    It's better to regret something you have done,
    Than to regret something you haven't done.
    And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend,
    Be sure and tell her, SATAN, SATAN, SATAN!!!"
    I have a lot of regrets, one more thing isn't going to make a difference.

(Original post by SeanFM)
    :console:

It you want to try and it's online, just get to know him a bit more of you can, then get his number or his Skype if he still impresses you.
    Thanks.
    I might try that if I'm not too nervous while talking to him.

ReputationRep:
    If you have his number message him on whatsapp and if he's into you he will try get the convo going . I know it's so hard being a shy girl trust me I feel you

ReputationRep:
    I have a lot of regrets, one more thing isn't going to make a difference.
    Just bloody tell him you big pussy! What's the worst that can happen? It's not like it can get awkward with somebody who you don't actually know in real life anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, then that makes things a lot more difficult. If you're crushing really hard, I'd go for it. As it's an online crush and he doesn't know you in real life, it's probably not that bad.
    Also, make sure he's not a Catfish.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.