Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confusing signs... Watch

Announcements

So I met this guy at uni, and he's pretty shy from what I gather- rarely speaking to anyone other than his close friends.

We got close due to coursework and our group of friends began to talk more and more. In one lecture his friend sat in the row in front and left a seat free for him, but when he came in, he asked if he could sit next to me. I thought it was a friendly thing of course so yeah, not much happened.

Then the feels developed and I started to like him more, but he seemed to talk to me less and less. We would message but I sent like what seems a paragraph whilst his replies were two lines, and he didn't reply to the last message. When we came back from the holidays, he would only speak to me once or twice, but to my other female friends he could talk so much. I got the hint here and understood he didn't like me, but in these few days he's been talking to me again, lying on my shoulder, talking about things other than work and exams... so yeah.

I don't really know what to do, like, I've thought about asking him out to do something together, but I don't want to make things awkward. And if he doesn't like me then I definitely don't want to try anything. So yeah, what is this situation?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Cinemas aren't the best place for dates, but maybe you could ask him if he wants to go and see a film you think he's like (Eg The Revenant or The Hateful Eight) and when something scary happens, hold his hand and see what happens? And play it off if he gets uncomfortable.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So I met this guy at uni, and he's pretty shy from what I gather- rarely speaking to anyone other than his close friends.

We got close due to coursework and our group of friends began to talk more and more. In one lecture his friend sat in the row in front and left a seat free for him, but when he came in, he asked if he could sit next to me. I thought it was a friendly thing of course so yeah, not much happened.

Then the feels developed and I started to like him more, but he seemed to talk to me less and less. We would message but I sent like what seems a paragraph whilst his replies were two lines, and he didn't reply to the last message. When we came back from the holidays, he would only speak to me once or twice, but to my other female friends he could talk so much. I got the hint here and understood he didn't like me, but in these few days he's been talking to me again, lying on my shoulder, talking about things other than work and exams... so yeah.

I don't really know what to do, like, I've thought about asking him out to do something together, but I don't want to make things awkward. And if he doesn't like me then I definitely don't want to try anything. So yeah, what is this situation?
    Firstly, it's clear he's definitely giving you mixed signals.It could be that he is a shy person who was unsure about getting close to you (as you're new in his life) and he seems to have a select group of friends that he probably trusts and wants to hang out.

The whole messaging thing would bug me too. I say it a lot, but I do believe if someone is genuinely interested, they would make the effort. It could be, however, that he's not great with talking over social media or texts...?

If you do like him, you could suggest going out as a group to a pub or for some food in a casual environment and see if he gravitates towards you. That way, you can still have moments where you two could possibly hang out closer together but have people around so it's not presumptuous or awkward. After that if he does show interest, you could say something to him when you're both on your own, 'it was fun, we should do it again' cause if you say it to him on his own - it probably insinuates that you would want to move on to do something for just the two of you.
    Possibly?.?

(Original post by SeanFM)
    Cinemas aren't the best place for dates, but maybe you could ask him if he wants to go and see a film you think he's like (Eg The Revenant or The Hateful Eight) and when something scary happens, hold his hand and see what happens? And play it off if he gets uncomfortable.
    Neither movie is scary tho :P
    Nonetheless good point, just to see his reaction
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Neither movie is scary tho :P
    Nonetheless good point, just to see his reaction
    Maybe you are used to Tarantino films :holmes: or I am just faint hearted :hide:

:borat:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.