Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can vegans ever own a car Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if tesla qualifys as a vegan am compliant car either 🚗🚗🚗 🐔🐂

ReputationRep:
    Lol I don't get it. I'm a vegan and I own a car.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh shut up you animal eater.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    Carnivore sounds better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    Lol I don't get it. I'm a vegan and I own a car.
    Leather seats among possible other things bruv

ReputationRep:
    Veganism actually defines a diet. Being a vegan is about not consuming animal products. By that definition, I'm a vegan. I haven't explained why I'm a vegan and nor do I have to.

A lot of vegans will care equally about killing animals prematurely for any reason but that doesn't mean that everyone who is on a vegan diet does. And a lot of byproducts of animals aren't necessarily as a result of pain and suffering that animals endure so we can eat meat and drink milk.
    When I heard vegans tend to avoid buying leather bootsand makeup materials tested on animals I figured leather seats would also make it to that list 🤔

Besides the point I find your first paragraph confusing 🤔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    When I heard vegans tend to avoid buying leather bootsand makeup materials tested on animals I figured leather seats would also make it to that list 🤔

Besides the point I find your first paragraph confusing 🤔
    Oh goddddd. Vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian- these terms all define DIETS ie the composition of the food you consume. So by definition being a vegan means that I do not consume animal products and instead eat fruits vegetables and grains. That's what makes me a vegan.

Second part: I am on a vegan diet but I don't have to explain to you why I eat that way. Why does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    Veganism actually defines a diet. Being a vegan is about not consuming animal products. By that definition, I'm a vegan. I haven't explained why I'm a vegan and nor do I have to.

A lot of vegans will care equally about killing animals prematurely for any reason but that doesn't mean that everyone who is on a vegan diet does. And a lot of byproducts of animals aren't necessarily as a result of pain and suffering that animals endure so we can eat meat and drink milk.
    What are you talking about? Are you suggesting you can be vegan and buy leather?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    What are you talking about? Are you suggesting you can be vegan and buy leather?
    Technically yes, but it wouldn't be very consistent if you were an ethical vegan and the animal was killed prematurely for the leather (as opposed to after it naturally dies)

ReputationRep:
    They can in theory...

But will they have the strength to press the brake pedal when it matters????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    Hmm mmm, that bacon though... :love:

ReputationRep:
    Technically yes, but it wouldn't be very consistent if you were an ethical vegan and the animal was killed prematurely for the leather (as opposed to after it naturally dies)
    Veganism is about abstaining from animal products, not just animal-derived foodstuffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Hmm mmm, that bacon though... :love:
    yeah enjoy your murderous food fascists.

ReputationRep:
    Oh goddddd. Vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian- these terms all define DIETS ie the composition of the food you consume. So by definition being a vegan means that I do not consume animal products and instead eat fruits vegetables and grains. That's what makes me a vegan.

Second part: I am on a vegan diet but I don't have to explain to you why I eat that way. Why does it matter?
    Sorry sir, I believe you will notice conflicting definitions for vegan and vegetarian should you think you got it all right.

(Original post by RobML)
    Veganism is about abstaining from animal products, not just animal-derived foodstuffs.
    Evidently the dude doesn't know what he signed up for 🤔

Hi raaachek care to weigh in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rap11)
    yeah enjoy your murderous food fascists.
    Pigs aren't murderous food fascists! :gasp: Pigs are tasty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    Sorry sir, I believe you will notice conflicting definitions for vegan and vegetarian should you think you got it all right
    Omg I know the difference between vegan and vegetarian. I was using vegetarian and pescetarian as additional examples of words that are used to describe he composition of a diet. I wish I didn't have to spell things out sometimes. It's time consuming and irritating.

ReputationRep:

Yes you do have to explain it in the sense that it would help us understand your argument. For example if you are a vegan because you think animals suffer unduly to give us meat and milk then it is hypocritical of you to have leather seats in your car. If you are a vegan because you don't think meat and milk are as healthy as an all veg diet then you can have leather seats.

There's no reason to be so precious about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Yes you do have to explain it in the sense that it would help us understand your argument. For example if you are a vegan because you think animals suffer unduly to give us meat and milk then it is hypocritical of you to have leather seats in your car. If you are a vegan because you don't think meat and milk are as healthy as an all veg diet then you can have leather seats.

There's no reason to be so precious about it...
    My point should have been inferred from my stance but I will do more spelling out. I am a vegan for health reasons primarily. I don't own any leather products and I wouldn't wear a fur coat but I'm not going to cry if my car has a bit of leather in it. My car doesn't have leather seats either.

ReputationRep:
    Although I'd like to back you up on this, Ethereal, the definition for veganism is as follows:
    - a person who does not eat or use animal products.

In other words, it is not solely diet-oriented.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Although I'd like to back you up on this, Ethereal, the definition for veganism is as follows:
    - a person who does not eat or use animal products.

In other words, it is not solely diet-oriented.
    Distinctions are sometimes made between several categories of veganism. Dietary vegans (or strict vegetarians) refrain from consuming animal products, not only meat but also eggs, dairy products and other animal-derived substances. The term ethical vegan is often applied to those who not only follow a vegan diet but extend the philosophy into other areas of their lives, and oppose the use of animals for any purpose. Another term is environmental veganism, which refers to the avoidance of animal products on the premise that the harvesting or industrial farming of animals is environmentally damaging and unsustainable.
    I would say that under these categories I am a dietary vegan and an environmental vegan. I can be those without being a full fledged ethical vegan. Veganism is not black and white.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.