Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can vegans ever own a car Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EtherealNymph22)
    but you then decided to make a post saying what the entire point of the thread was, which the OP recently cleared up.

The whole point of arguing whether vegans could use leather was based on the categorisation that not all people who identify as vegans are strict ethical vegans. I just wish that because of your laziness other people didn't have to make up for it by summarising the thread for you to balance your ignorance.
    Except it's nothing to do with your reasons for being a vegan, it's a lot simpler than that, vegans don't use animal products. Claiming to be a vegan that uses animal products is like claiming to be an atheist that believes in god - completely missing the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiceTheSlice)
    Thanks! I'm guessing you are an ethical vegan as well. Where do you stand on zero-waste living?
    I am indeed I think it's a good way to live but obviously it's not always possible - imo you should try as best you can but it's not the be all and end all if you can't because it'd have to be a perfect world for everyone to be living like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Except it's nothing to do with your reasons for being a vegan, it's a lot simpler than that, vegans don't use animal products. Claiming to be a vegan that uses animal products is like claiming to be an atheist that believes in god - completely missing the point.
    No, it is to do with my reasons for being vegan- it's just not the PRIMARY reason. Not everything is black and white and it's irritating that people think that so. I have also clarified on here time and time again that I do not use animal products- I do not buy leather or fear, but being vegan is not about being perfect- it's about minimising the use of animal products as far as possible and within reason. So my point is, I can be a vegan and have a car which, in some small part does use animal products (in the tyres and in the interior irrelevant of whether the seats are leather), but that doesn't mean I can't be vegan. Using animal products where it is mostly unavoidable is different from supporting the cruelty of the meat and dairy industry by eating both and creating the demand for the behaviour to continue. Also, your analogy is not appropriate. It's actually similar to claiming to be a christian but thinking homosexual marriage is okay. It's not exactly okay in the eyes of the most extreme christians but it doesn't make those people any less of a christian.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Also, your analogy is not appropriate. It's actually similar to claiming to be a christian but thinking homosexual marriage is okay. It's not exactly okay in the eyes of the most extreme christians but it doesn't make those people any less of a christian.
    Except christians are defined by their belief that Jesus is the saviour of man, not a belief that gay marriage is wrong. Vegans are quite literally people who do not use animal products. If you're someone who doesn't eat meat but still buys leather etc. then you're still using animal products and are not a vegan. It's a open and shut case this...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, it is to do with my reasons for being vegan- it's just not the PRIMARY reason. Not everything is black and white and it's irritating that people think that so. I have also clarified on here time and time again that I do not use animal products- I do not buy leather or fear, but being vegan is not about being perfect- it's about minimising the use of animal products as far as possible and within reason. So my point is, I can be a vegan and have a car which, in some small part does use animal products (in the tyres and in the interior irrelevant of whether the seats are leather), but that doesn't mean I can't be vegan. Using animal products where it is mostly unavoidable is different from supporting the cruelty of the meat and dairy industry by eating both and creating the demand for the behaviour to continue. Also, your analogy is not appropriate. It's actually similar to claiming to be a christian but thinking homosexual marriage is okay. It's not exactly okay in the eyes of the most extreme christians but it doesn't make those people any less of a christian.
    What are your views on medicine we use which comes at the cost of lives of many animals upon which it had been tested yet saves millions of human lives?

ReputationRep:
    Except christians are defined by their belief that Jesus is the saviour of man, not a belief that gay marriage is wrong. Vegans are quite literally people who do not use animal products. If you're someone who doesn't eat meat but still buys leather etc. then you're still using animal products and are not a vegan. It's a open and shut case this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's an open and shut case in your eyes because you don't understand what being vegan means. I doubt there are many people who identify as vegans who don't use animal products in some way shape or form. For example I take medication which I absolutely have to take otherwise I would be extremely unwell and it has a small amount of animal product in. That doesn't make me not a vegan because as far as is reasonable I cannot not take this medication and there are no vegan alternatives. Being a vegan in reality is not about never using any animal products ever, it's about minimising the use of animal products as much as possible. That is the philosophy and I'm sure most vegans would agree with me. If your only knowledge of what being a vegan is is from a dictionary then I suggest you do a bit more research and talk to other people in the vegan community.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's an open and shut case in your eyes because you don't understand what being vegan means. I doubt there are many people who identify as vegans who don't use animal products in some way shape or form. For example I take medication which I absolutely have to take otherwise I would be extremely unwell and it has a small amount of animal product in. That doesn't make me not a vegan because as far as is reasonable I cannot not take this medication and there are no vegan alternatives. Being a vegan in reality is not about never using any animal products ever, it's about minimising the use of animal products as much as possible. That is the philosophy and I'm sure most vegans would agree with me. If your only knowledge of what being a vegan is is from a dictionary then I suggest you do a bit more research and talk to other people in the vegan community.
    Except using medicine is in practice unavoidable, the existence of faux-leathers and furs means that using leather isn't. Claiming to be a vegan and using leather is utterly ridiculous. If people want to use animal products, great, but using animal products willy-nilly and claiming some sort of superiority because you're not eating them is pure hypocrisy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Vegans are try hards, hipsters - whatever.

Sorry not sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Except using medicine is in practice unavoidable, the existence of faux-leathers and furs means that using leather isn't. Claiming to be a vegan and using leather is utterly ridiculous. If people want to use animal products, great, but using animal products willy-nilly and claiming some sort of superiority because you're not eating them is pure hypocrisy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I would have to agree with that that it is hypocritical if they're claiming superiority because they're not eating them.

Not all vegans think they are superior for not eating animals!! I for one do not think I'm superior- it's my choice.

Just for the record I wouldn't buy leather but if there was a small bit of leather in a car I have (I'm not talking leather seats) then I'm not going to have a fit and not use it. All car tyres have animal product in them. It's hard to avoid a lot of small things.

My earlier point that our little back and forth started was that an individual can eat a vegan diet and buy leather. They are not mutually exclusive. But I agree that if the person eating a vegan diet claims to be a strict vegan who is minimising the use of animal products as far as is reasonably possible and is acting superior because of that but at the same time buys leather sh*t then yes that is 'pure hypocrisy'.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.