Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The struggle with the numeracy skills test thread ! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

So I've been applying to do my PGCE at Exeter and two other institutions in the south west.

I have an interview today, and they accepted me the day after I applied. I didn't know about the qts tests until last week. To make matters worse, they set the interview four days after. After not doing any mental arithmatic for about 6 years, I struggled in a practice test and failed. Meanwhile the literacy test I got almost 100% simply because I'm an English graduate and want to teach English.

I don't mind the new rule that you have to take a numeracy test. But I feel that i might fail the numeracy test in the interview today. Will this affect me getting into the course ?

Luckily, my acual qts test is on February 11th. Enough time for me to prop up my maths weakness. I still can't believe I was good at maths at GCSEs, I really enjoyed it too. Now it seems like a different language to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellaa_elh)
    Hello everyone,

So I've been applying to do my PGCE at Exeter and two other institutions in the south west.

I have an interview today, and they accepted me the day after I applied. I didn't know about the qts tests until last week. To make matters worse, they set the interview four days after. After not doing any mental arithmatic for about 6 years, I struggled in a practice test and failed. Meanwhile the literacy test I got almost 100% simply because I'm an English graduate and want to teach English.

I don't mind the new rule that you have to take a numeracy test. But I feel that i might fail the numeracy test in the interview today. Will this affect me getting into the course ?

Luckily, my acual qts test is on February 11th. Enough time for me to prop up my maths weakness. I still can't believe I was good at maths at GCSEs, I really enjoyed it too. Now it seems like a different language to me.
    Are you on Facebook? There's a really good support group on there. Search for QTS Skills Test.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind the new rule that you have to take a numeracy test.
    Nothing new about it. The Numeracy Skills Test was introduced 16 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Please join the FB group! Had it not been for that group I wouldnt have passed first time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Nothing new about it. The Numeracy Skills Test was introduced 16 years ago.
    The requirement to have passed the test before starting a course is relatively recent however, having been introduced in 2012 - along with the limit of two resits before you are locked out for two years. When candidates had unlimited resit opportunities the skills tests were obviously a much less stressful affair!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ontherazzle)
    the skills tests were obviously a much less stressful affair!
    That's not necessarily true. Hundreds of people were unable to take up jobs because they failed the tests at the end of their training years. I'd imagine that was pretty stressful. They also had to deal with the nonsense of an ICT test that used a pretend software platform no-one was familiar with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Hundreds of people were unable to take up jobs because they failed the tests at the end of their training years.
    Is that really so? I haven't seen figures for the number of people who never managed to pass the skills tests pre 2012, but I have read that at least one candidate took 27 attempts to pass. I find it quite hard to believe that someone could fail that many times...

I still say that knowing you have only three attempts makes taking the tests far more stressful than knowing you could carry on retaking them until you passed - or until you accepted that maybe teaching was not for you.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely dreading both tests but numeracy the most and also comprehension, such less time is given in the practise maths test, its nowhere near enough

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Hey Ellaa,
    Hope you're doing ok. I found numeracy hard to get my head around. I haven't taken the prof skills test in numeracy (like you, literacy was no prob for me). I would suggest reading through the doc on the gov website about the areas covered by the test and work through the examples. There are lots of data sets/ graphs/ tables that were new to me. There are lots of revision books too - I like Passing the Numeracy Skills Test 6th ed by Mark Patmore. See below for the areas covered by the test.
    http://sta.education.gov.uk/system/r...20numeracy.pdf

Good luck to you. 👍

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.