Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I am an international applicant. I had applied for law to various universities (UCL, KCL, LSE, Bristol and Durham) through UCAS on 15th January and sat on 20th January. These dates were exactly the deadline (because I was really busy with school and work and couldn't apply earlier unfortunately).

Since I am an international applicant, I was very new to applying to UK universities. There are educational consultants in my country to help with the application.

As such, I had applied through an educational consultant in my country. I had submitted and paid for my UCAS application on the 15th January.

However, I had just received a rejection from UCL yesterday. The reason given was "Unfortunately, you have submitted your application after the UCAS deadline. UCL does not consider late applications for this programme of study."

I am very sure that I had submitted my application in time! The only problem was that since I was applying through an educational consultant, they had to approve it first before my UCAS application would be sent to the various universities. This process took 3 days!! Nonetheless, my educational consultant told me that my application would not be considered late since I had paid on 15th January. This does not seem to be the case now.

What should I do? I think that if UCL believes that my application is late, the other universities will consider my application to be late too?! Which I had submitted on time oh my goodness. Have I just wasted $200 (my country's currency) on UCAS and LNAT since my application might no longer be considered?!

Please advise, I am in a state of panic!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, you are a late applicant. Your application would have had to be sent of to UCAS, that is your educational consultant would have had to approve the application, before the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Unfortunately, you are a late applicant. Your application would have had to be sent of to UCAS, that is your educational consultant would have had to approve the application, before the deadline.
    Thanks for your reply. Oh my god... I had asked my educational consultant several times and she said I wouldn't be considered late. Have I wasted my money then... Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasmine Lim)
    Hi everyone,
    I am an international applicant. I had applied for law to various universities (UCL, KCL, LSE, Bristol and Durham) through UCAS on 15th January and sat on 20th January. These dates were exactly the deadline (because I was really busy with school and work and couldn't apply earlier unfortunately).

Since I am an international applicant, I was very new to applying to UK universities. There are educational consultants in my country to help with the application.

As such, I had applied through an educational consultant in my country. I had submitted and paid for my UCAS application on the 15th January.

However, I had just received a rejection from UCL yesterday. The reason given was "Unfortunately, you have submitted your application after the UCAS deadline. UCL does not consider late applications for this programme of study."

I am very sure that I had submitted my application in time! The only problem was that since I was applying through an educational consultant, they had to approve it first before my UCAS application would be sent to the various universities. This process took 3 days!! Nonetheless, my educational consultant told me that my application would not be considered late since I had paid on 15th January. This does not seem to be the case now.

What should I do? I think that if UCL believes that my application is late, the other universities will consider my application to be late too?! Which I had submitted on time oh my goodness. Have I just wasted $200 (my country's currency) on UCAS and LNAT since my application might no longer be considered?!

Please advise, I am in a state of panic!
    When you paid for the application it was then your consultant's job to submit it in time for the deadline. Therefore, to have met this deadline they should have submitted your application to UCAS by 6pm (GMT) on 15th January. If they did not, unfortunately, then this counts as a late application. According to UCL's response it does seem as if your application was sent past the deadline; the other unis still will consider your application, but because it was a late one they are no longer obliged to equally consider it in comparison to other earlier applications.

If things don't work out then there is always the chance to apply for another course/uni through UCAS Extra or Clearing Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. Oh my god... I had asked my educational consultant several times and she said I wouldn't be considered late. Have I wasted my money then... Sigh.
    It is sad that you were not aware, but this is why the student room was advising everyone to not wait until the deadline as the application still needed to be approved. No one can say, it is likely that for Law many universities will not consider late applications, however you're just going to have to wait to hear back from other universities. Maybe contact them so you know either way? I'm really sorry to hear about this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenshades)
    When you paid for the application it was then your consultant's job to submit it in time for the deadline. Therefore, to have met this deadline they should have submitted your application to UCAS by 6pm (GMT) on 15th January. If they did not, unfortunately, then this counts as a late application. According to UCL's response it does seem as if your application was sent past the deadline; the other unis still will consider your application, but because it was a late one they are no longer obliged to equally consider it in comparison to other earlier applications.

If things don't work out then there is always the chance to apply for another course/uni through UCAS Extra or Clearing Good luck!
    Thank you so so much. I don't know what to feel now because my educational consultant reassured me that my application wouldn't be considered late. And she wasn't replying me until I emailed her several times (before she approved it)

Unfortunately, I don't think UCL goes through clearing right? . I was most keen on UCL and was upset I was rejected right from the start.

ReputationRep:
    It is sad that you were not aware, but this is why the student room was advising everyone to not wait until the deadline as the application still needed to be approved. No one can say, it is likely that for Law many universities will not consider late applications, however you're just going to have to wait to hear back from other universities. Maybe contact them so you know either way? I'm really sorry to hear about this
    I'm new to the student room and didn't know about this . I trusted my educational consultant because they said they had been around since 2004 etc.

Oh man I should just have done it by myself

ReputationRep:
    Should I try to email the various universities to rectify this problem or am I pure hopeless? 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Should I try to email the various universities to rectify this problem or am I pure hopeless? 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Contacting them probably won't do much other than put your mind at ease with whether or not they're likely to consider you. I'd contact them for the purposes of knowing though, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Did you pay this consultant?

ReputationRep:
    Contacting them probably won't do much other than put your mind at ease with whether or not they're likely to consider you. I'd contact them for the purposes of knowing though, yes.
    Thanks for your advice! I'm afraid I might sound like I'm blaming someone else if I were to tell them about the situation... Tho I really don't think it's my fault.

LSE has just rejected me too saying my application was late too. Sigh I think I'm going to get all the rejections lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice! I'm afraid I might sound like I'm blaming someone else if I were to tell them about the situation... Tho I really don't think it's my fault.

LSE has just rejected me too saying my application was late too. Sigh I think I'm going to get all the rejections lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Everything happens for a reason! A gap year isn't the worst thing, trust me I had to take an unexpected one. Let us know what your situation is once you've phones, but I'm afraid Law is very competitive so it is likely they won't accept late applications, especially as you've applied to top universities!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.