Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Without a doubt. Not that I'd ever commit treason against my own lovely college but if I had applied to Cambridge...
    Where were you?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Where were you?
    Where was I when? :confused:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ah lovely liverpool!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Where was I when? :confused:
    Which college :P
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Which college :P
    What, now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)

hmmm also when they put a lot of that stuff up the dominant method of awarding tenders was corruption
    I learned to swim in a Poulson designed swimming pool. I won't have a word said against it apart from the fact it was supposed to be 50m long and it ended up 25m. The rest of it ended up 3 miles away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I learned to swim in a Poulson designed swimming pool. I won't have a word said against it apart from the fact it was supposed to be 50m long and it ended up 25m. The rest of it ended up 3 miles away.
    In his back garden?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    UCL - Archeology dept

I used to have pics of the inside. The lift was completely white and padded. It looked like a psych hospital padded room....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    UCL - Archeology dept

I used to have pics of the inside. The lift was completely white and padded. It looked like a psych hospital padded room....

That one is a real delight. :lol:

The Fogg building at QMUL takes some beating. I think it was probably intended to be a modernist masterpiece but over the years it has become rather battered and is pressed in with an assortment of other buildings and a massive building programme that permanently surrounds it with rubble and cranes. Inside it is mainly just very, very boring with narrow corridors, etc.

QMUL is one of those universities that tries very hard to look lovely on its website but when you spend a bit of time on campus, you quickly realise that was all a lie. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    In his back garden?
    No.

Dodgy political deal meant another swimming pool got the extra metres.

ReputationRep:
    UCL - Archeology dept
    I am not sure that UCL can be blamed for this. That seems to be the Bedford Estates' preferred style immediately after the war. Look at the buildings on Woburn Place that replaced buildings destroyed in the Blitz

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure that UCL can be blamed for this. That seems to be the Bedford Estates' preferred style immediately after the war. Look at the buildings on Woburn Place that replaced buildings destroyed in the Blitz
    Was that built in the early 50s? It looks like thousands of similar buildings of that period.

I am currently doing an evening class in the Cruciform building at UCL, which is a fascinating gothic pile and a total contrast to all the dreary postwar stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Was that built in the early 50s? It looks like thousands of similar buildings of that period.

I am currently doing an evening class in the Cruciform building at UCL, which is a fascinating gothic pile and a total contrast to all the dreary postwar stuff.
    That is of course the old UCH and UCL got it back when the NHS built the tower block round the corner.

I was in the the Cruciform Building on the morning of 7th July 2005.

ReputationRep:
    That is of course the old UCH and UCL got it back when the NHS built the tower block round the corner.

I was in the the Cruciform Building on the morning of 7th July 2005.
    Really? Were you teaching? Did you hear the explosion in Russel Square?

Must have been pretty frightening to be close to the incidents. I was in London the previous day and on the Piccadilly.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    What, now?
    Yah

ReputationRep:
    That one is a real delight. :lol:

The Fogg building at QMUL takes some beating. I think it was probably intended to be a modernist masterpiece but over the years it has become rather battered and is pressed in with an assortment of other buildings and a massive building programme that permanently surrounds it with rubble and cranes. Inside it is mainly just very, very boring with narrow corridors, etc.

QMUL is one of those universities that tries very hard to look lovely on its website but when you spend a bit of time on campus, you quickly realise that was all a lie. :teehee:
    True. Isn't that where biology is based? I like how they strategically use the inside of the library and the Queens Building.
    They should really advertise that they have a grave yard in the centre of campus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurenafenete)
    True. Isn't that where biology is based? I like how they strategically use the inside of the library and the Queens Building.
    They should really advertise that they have a grave yard in the centre of campus.
    Ha, yeah, the one really interesting feature visually at Queen Mary is the old library in the Queens' Building, but it is closed most of the time, so you can't just go in there and wonder around admiring it. :sad:

The graveyard is the old Jewish cemetary for E. London and a bit of a major historic site - it kind of makes an interesting talking point and in spring there are masses of bluebells all over it, which is sweet. However, the campus generally is horribly cramped and overcrowded (at Mile End anyway) and there is basically zero green space. I know one expects a London campus to be more urban, but it doesn't have the advantages of being central that Kings, UCL and so on have and at the same time, is a miserable spot with a thundering great road constantly running past it and almost nothing in the way of shops.

End of huge moan. :teehee:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    x
    Is that really a University?! that looks rather like an industrialized building than a place to study. Would never think about a University when I am looking at that.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yah
    St. Anne's. I should probably add, just in case you decide to google it, that the concrete monstrosity you will see is not representative of most of the college :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    The first picture of Durham is the castle, which is not the main building, it is used as student accommodation.

Durham has been spending a lot on improving its buildings in last few years:

Although their maths department has been neglected, as has the God-awful student union:

Hahaha omg that last photo. I'm so dead. :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.