The Student Room Group

Can't solve this chem problem. Could you guys help me plz?

The problem is from the text book 'Chemistry for Cambridge IGCSE' and on page 11 question 3.

Q: Oxygen is the gas we breathe in. It can be separated from the air. It boils at -219ºC and freezes at -183ºC.
In which state is oxygen, at: 0ºC? -200ºC?

But what I wonder is that can the boiling point be lower than the melting point ?
In addition, the original boiling point of oxygen is -183ºC and the original melting point of oxygen is -219ºC.
What's the matter with that question? or Am I stupid? :frown:
Could anyone solve this please?
Reply 1
The question is from a text book 'Chemistry for Cambridge IGCSE' and on page 11 question 3.

Q : Oxygen is the gas we breathe in. It can be separated from the air. It boils at -219ºC and freezes at -183ºC.
In which state is oxygen, at: 0ºC? -200ºC?

But what I wonder is that can the boiling point be lower than the melting point?
In addition, according to the truths of science, the boiling point of oxygen is -183ºC , not -219ºC. And its melting point is -219ºC, not -183ºC.
What's the matter with this question? or Am I stupid? :frown:

Could anybody solve this please?
(edited 8 years ago)
It's the other way around. Freezing point is -219 and boiling point is -183 :smile:
0C - liquid
-200C - somewhere between liquid and solid?
The textbook has the boiling and freezing points wrong way round.

PS - don't take my word for it coz I've never studied chemistry 😜😂😂😂
It's a typo, it freezes/melts at -218.4°C and boils/condenses at -183.0°C according to here :smile:

You're right that the boiling point can't be lower than the melting point, you're not stupid at all! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Nessie162
It's the other way around. Freezing point is -219 and boiling point is -183 :smile:

Then, the answer would be ' Oxygen is still gas at 0ºC. Oxygen turns into liquid at -200ºC.'
Is this right ?
Reply 6
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
It's a typo, it freezes/melts at -218.4°C and boils/condenses at -183.0°C according to here :smile:

You're right that the boiling point can't be lower than the melting point, you're not stupid at all! :smile:

Thank you sooooo much :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by DougallnDougall
0C - liquid
-200C - somewhere between liquid and solid?
The textbook has the boiling and freezing points wrong way round.

PS - don't take my word for it coz I've never studied chemistry 😜😂😂😂

Thanx for your reply :smile: :smile:
Original post by Diana Heo
Thanx for your reply :smile: :smile:

You're welcome but honestly I wouldn't go with my answer unless quite desperate 🙈 Not sure how I even came to know that Oxygen can be boiled and frozen 😕😊
Original post by Diana Heo
Then, the answer would be ' Oxygen is still gas at 0ºC. Oxygen turns into liquid at -200ºC.'
Is this right ?

You're correct about it being a gas and a liquid. It won't be 'in between' the two states as suggested above. Pure elements change state at or very close to their boiling/meting points.
There is some exceptions to the "in between states" comment, but definitely won't be taught in the GCSE syllabus.

Quick Reply

Latest