Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't solve this chem problem. Could you guys help me plz? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The problem is from the text book 'Chemistry for Cambridge IGCSE' and on page 11 question 3.

Q: Oxygen is the gas we breathe in. It can be separated from the air. It boils at -219ºC and freezes at -183ºC.
    In which state is oxygen, at: 0ºC? -200ºC?

But what I wonder is that can the boiling point be lower than the melting point ?
    In addition, the original boiling point of oxygen is -183ºC and the original melting point of oxygen is -219ºC.
    What's the matter with that question? or Am I stupid?
    Could anyone solve this please?

ReputationRep:
    The question is from a text book 'Chemistry for Cambridge IGCSE' and on page 11 question 3.

Q : Oxygen is the gas we breathe in. It can be separated from the air. It boils at -219ºC and freezes at -183ºC.
    In which state is oxygen, at: 0ºC? -200ºC?

But what I wonder is that can the boiling point be lower than the melting point?
    In addition, according to the truths of science, the boiling point of oxygen is -183ºC , not -219ºC. And its melting point is -219ºC, not -183ºC.
    What's the matter with this question? or Am I stupid?

Could anybody solve this please?

ReputationRep:
    It's the other way around. Freezing point is -219 and boiling point is -183

ReputationRep:
    0C - liquid
    -200C - somewhere between liquid and solid?
    The textbook has the boiling and freezing points wrong way round.

PS - don't take my word for it coz I've never studied chemistry 😜😂😂😂
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's a typo, it freezes/melts at -218.4°C and boils/condenses at -183.0°C according to here

You're right that the boiling point can't be lower than the melting point, you're not stupid at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    It's the other way around. Freezing point is -219 and boiling point is -183
    Then, the answer would be ' Oxygen is still gas at 0ºC.Oxygen turns into liquid at -200ºC.'
    Is this right ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    It's a typo, it freezes/melts at -218.4°C and boils/condenses at -183.0°C according to here

You're right that the boiling point can't be lower than the melting point, you're not stupid at all!
    Thank you sooooo much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    0C - liquid
    -200C - somewhere between liquid and solid?
    The textbook has the boiling and freezing points wrong way round.

PS - don't take my word for it coz I've never studied chemistry 😜😂😂😂

Thanx for your reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diana Heo)
    Thanx for your reply
    You're welcome but honestly I wouldn't go with my answer unless quite desperate 🙈 Not sure how I even came to know that Oxygen can be boiled and frozen 😕😊
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diana Heo)
    Then, the answer would be ' Oxygen is still gas at 0ºC.Oxygen turns into liquid at -200ºC.'
    Is this right ?
    You're correct about it being a gas and a liquid. It won't be 'in between' the two states as suggested above. Pure elements change state at or very close to their boiling/meting points.

ReputationRep:
    There is some exceptions to the "in between states" comment, but definitely won't be taught in the GCSE syllabus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.