I heard that before I don't see how this is news

ReputationRep:
    more backward stuff ...
    Name:  b10.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  44.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achaea)
    You do't know your own religion very well, do you?

Abu Dawood (4938) narrated from Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever plays dice has disobeyed Allaah and His Messenger.” (Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood, 4129)
    Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Chess is like dice in that it is forbidden.” (al-Mughni, 14/155)
    Sahih Muslim Hadith 5612 Narrated by Buraydah ibn al-Hasib Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) said: "He who played chess is like one who dyed his hand with the flesh and blood of swine"

It was narrated that ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with him) passed by some people who were playing chess. He said, “What are these images, to which you are devoted? [cf. al-Anbiya’ 21:52]” Imaam Ahmad said: “The soundest comment on chess what that which was said by ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him).”

‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked about chess and he said, “It is worse than dice."

And chess appears to have been invented in India, well before Islam. Nice try.
    very informative !

#dyedmyhand

http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/...wisdom_420.jpg

e4

ReputationRep:
    Who the heck even bets on chess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    Saudi Arabia’s grand mufti has ruled that chess is forbidden
    Ha ha. What's the betting he just got ripped to pieces in some chess game with the Russian ambassador and he chucked the pieces on the floor in a tantrum and declared "it's haram"?

ReputationRep:
    The amount of idiocy in this world, especially within religious communities, is frightening. It seems that anyone can justify just about about anything in Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    What isn't haram
    Were you expecting an easy pass to Jannah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Were you expecting an easy pass to Jannah?
    That would certainly be nice.

ReputationRep:
    wow... This means even snakes and ladders will be outlawed. No just no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascend)
    a cause for hatred and enmity between players”.

Yes, damn chess and its incitement of hatred and enmity between the different sects. Caused so much bloodshed...
    And saudi even refuses to comment on IS. Probably because they hate shias just as much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    That would certainly be nice.
    It would, but reality is we have to make sacrifices in this life for the next.

ReputationRep:
    well jokes on you, i don't even play chess anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    #

replied that if it makes a person miss praying on time or he plays for money, then it is haraam, otherwise it is makrooh according to al-Shaafa’i and haraam according to others…” (al-Kabaa’ir, 89-90)

So what things can legitimately make you late to pray and be okay? I don't tend to see Muslim colleagues all disappearing at the exact same time to pray so I assume there is a degree of flexibility?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Well it is Saudi.

ReputationRep:
    #yolo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkap)
    Just bc one sheikhs made a fatwa doesn't mean other people and sheikhs will agree. It was actually a Muslim who created chess
    Muslims claim credit for everything LOL

ReputationRep:
    LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    It would, but reality is we have to make sacrifices in this life for the next.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure chess isn't haram.One scholar doesn't have precedence over another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure chess isn't haram.One scholar doesn't have precedence over another.
    I didn't say it was.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.