Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Saudi Mufti declares chess as haram Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    Guess who creates those problems though?
    Allah, obviously.
    Nothing happens without his will and permission.
    Every action that we take is inevitable due to infallible omniscience.

Quit complaining. You can win easily just convert innit
    But what about those people who Allah "has certainly created for hell"?
    Or those that he has set a seal on "so that they cannot believe, even if you warn them"?
    How can they convert?

ReputationRep:
    You can't predict your future.
    You have no idea where you'll end up and where I will too.
    But Allah knows. He has always known. So your fate is set and there is nothing you can do to change it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna reply to your first and last post, because you have an annoying habit (no offense) of quoting me multiple times on one thread.

(Original post by QE2)
    And yet, slavery and wife beating aren't haram?
    Care to explain this?

Why does playing chess go down as a "bad deed", but raping a female captive doesn't?
    Why does Allah see domestic violence as less harmful than a game of chess?

Seriously, I want to see you to attept to explain this.
    I cleary remember already debating with you on the topic of wife beating and how it's not permissible.
    If you're interested then go and dig up our old convo.

Slavery has also been explained to you by some ISOC members.

I don't understand why you feel the need to keep bringing up the same topic again and again when it doesn't even relate to the thread.

(Original post by QE2)
    But Allah knows. He has always known. So your fate is set and there is nothing you can do to change it.
    Answer me this, right now is there anything physically stopping you from accepting Islam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna reply to your first and last post, because you have an annoying habit (no offense) of quoting me multiple times on one thread.
    It keeps separate issues separate.

I cleary remember already debating with you on the topic of wife beating and how it's not permissible.
    If you're interested then go and dig up our old convo.
    I don't remember the specifics of our discussions, but I am aware of the standard defence, and it does nothing to mitigate the Quran's permission to beat a disobedient wife.
    The new defence that wahidribu does not mean beat or strike, but leave, makes absolutely no sense in the context of the word and its other use in the Quran (8:12), nor in the context of 7th century Arab society gender attitudes, nor in the context of the many sahih hadith that explain how severe the beating should be and which areas not to hit.
    And we all know how important context is, don't we?

(The miswak defence relies only on the opinion of a single person, not on any statement of Muhammad, so I don't see how it can take precedence over all the Quranic and sahih hadith evidence that explicitly refers to a physical beating. Also, the quote says to beat the wife with a miswak or similar, and as the miswak refers to the untrimmed branch as well as the smaller cut length, Ibn Abbas could reasonably have been referring to anything like a thin cane.)

So, to sum up...
    Hitting your wife is permitted by the Quran, although there is disagreement over the details.

Slavery has also been explained to you by some ISOC members.
    Yes. It has been explained that either:
    a) slavery was permitted but rules were laid down for the treatment of slaves, or
    b) Allah really wanted to prohibit slavery, but didn't think that people would listen to him, so he let them continue and hoped that they would realise that he wanted it banned, without being told.
    Both defences still have slavery permitted in the Quran.

So, to sum up...
    Slavery is permitted by the Quran, although there is disagreement over the details.

I don't understand why you feel the need to keep bringing up the same topic again and again when it doesn't even relate to the thread.
    It relates to the topic inasmuch as it was used to contextualise any prohibition of chess.

I will keep bringing these things up for as long as Muslims keep attempting to defend or deny them.

Answer me this, right now is there anything physically stopping you from accepting Islam?
    Believing in a concept or ideology is not a physical action, it is psychological/mental. It requires that you think it is right and true, not that you do anything.

The thing that is stopping me from accepting Islam is the seal that Allah "has put on my heart so that I cannot believe, even if you tell me".
    If it actually is real and true, then I would absolutely want to believe. Why wouldn't I? Who, in their right mind, would voluntarily choose an eternity of unbearable torture over an eternity of utter paradise? Certainly not me!
    Even the time consuming ritual and restriction wouldn't be an issue. I do a lot of endurance/exrteme sport and the training regimes can be difficult and boring, but I put up with them because of the desired goal.

So, you tell me this - if I really believed that Islam was true, what possible reason could I have for rejecting it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    was “a waste of time and a cause for hatred and enmity between players”.
    Well he's right about this part. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Well he's right about this part. :rofl:
    Maybe, but camel racing (common in Arab countries and Pakistan) does not seem to be haram, and it has potential to cause the same conflicts between the racers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.