Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best cook books? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I love cooking and I'm looking for recommendations for recipe/cook books.
    I'm looking to buy books that have:
    - British food
    - fusion food
    - soups/stews
    - desserts (particularly sponges)

If you have a favourite recipe you want to share I am interested!

ReputationRep:
    Gourmet is extremely good as a general one. The Science of Cooking is another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Hey,

- British food
    - fusion food
    - soups/stews

I like "Save with Jamie" by Jamie Oliver. BBC Good Food also do some handy cook books too. They do a range depending on what you're looking for: i.e. quick meals etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    Hey,

- British food
    - fusion food
    - soups/stews

I don't feel that cook books are that useful anymore because you can find many recipes online. Have you tried looking online? Otherwise, I also like to go to my local book shop and just look around the cooking section and flip through the books.

ReputationRep:
    I just look for recipes online these days, BBC good food is a pretty good site and there's loads on Jamie Oliver's site too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iluvcats)
    I don't feel that cook books are that useful anymore because you can find many recipes online. Have you tried looking online? Otherwise, I also like to go to my local book shop and just look around the cooking section and flip through the books.
    There is tonnes online... I love BBC Good Food!

But, for me, there's not much quite like flicking through a physical cookbook and balancing it precariously somewhere in your kitchen, with that obligatory blotch or spatter of sauce on a page...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    But, for me, there's not much quite like flicking through a physical cookbook and balancing it precariously somewhere in your kitchen, with that obligatory blotch or spatter of sauce on a page...
    Same, but I wouldn't necessarily go buy one since I know I won't make all the recipes in it, so sometimes it's sorta a waste to buy it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.