Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ICT Question - Bus Networks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok just a quick question, an exam question asked to give benefits of a bus network for a LAN and the mark scheme said failure of one system does not halt network but I don't see how that works as the computers are like in a string - one after another? Or is the network only affected if the main cable fails? Sorry confused

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the mark scheme is right, as long as the main cable stays intact, the network stays intact, even if any of the computers themselves fail. A ring network is the one in which one computer failure leads to a total network failure.

Bus networks aren't exactly like strings with computers on the strings, its more like a string with little bits going off that lead to individual computers.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks! But um how come in a ring, station failure affects the whole network? I thought it was like a bus network, just in a ring? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify

Notice how all the nodes on a bus topology are connected to one backbone cable, so think, if a computer fails, does it effect the network? not really

now look at a ring, each computer is dependant on the one next or behind computer, if one breaks does it effect the network? yes, because they're dependant on eachother to send a message

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [-David-])
    Just to clarify

Notice how all the nodes on a bus topology are connected to one backbone cable, so think, if a computer fails, does it effect the network? not really

now look at a ring, each computer is dependant on the one next or behind computer, if one breaks does it effect the network? yes, because they're dependant on eachother to send a message
    Thanks for clarifying that! I get it now I kept thinking the nodes were one after each other on the bus as well, oops Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    No probs, anytime

ReputationRep:
    i hope to god one comes up on network topologies, lol

TROD.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.