The Student Room Group

Imperial Business School vs New UCL School of Management

Hi All

I am planning for a MSc in Management in London and applied to several schools. I wonder specifically how Imperial Business School ranks compared to the new UCL School of Management?

Both Universities are highly regarded and have it's advantages. UCL for example has a new campus in Canary Wharf and will probably invest a lot to make it a great business school. However, Imperial is already established, right?

I look forward to hearing your points, considerations and inputs when comparing the two.

Thanks a lot.

New UCL School of Management:
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/209580a0-3530-11e5-b05b-b01debd57852.html#axzz3xs7HjybS

Scroll to see replies

Hi All

I now hold offers from UCL for a MSc in Management and from Imperial for an MSc in Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Management.

I would really appreciate some feedback on the both school and opinions for my considerations.

Any recent grads from these programs around?
Original post by londoncaller1009
Hi All

I now hold offers from UCL for a MSc in Management and from Imperial for an MSc in Innovation, Entrepreneurship, Management.

I would really appreciate some feedback on the both school and opinions for my considerations.

Any recent grads from these programs around?

I have studied business management at undergraduate in London so I feel like I have an intuition about this question, and I would say they are both of equal ranking and would get you into the same interviews and roles so it is really up to you to which persuades you more. UCL at Canary Wharf is interesting. Imperial is responding to London's financial leadership status with research into hedge funds and quantitative finance.

I would say the Imperial course caters more to someone wishing to working science and technology companies like Google and Apple and similar. It is somewhere between what UCL offers of M.Sc. Management and M.Sc. Technology Entrepreneurship.

Tough decision. I would draw up what you like and dislike about both and go with your gut instinct. But definitely do more research about the UCL Canary Wharf campus.

Canary Wharf is an interesting topic, coz it's pretty far from the main campus 30 mins by tube. Choosing accommodation close to Canary Wharf will lose some advantages of main campus resources. Tough choice indeed.
Original post by milestonemi
Canary Wharf is an interesting topic, coz it's pretty far from the main campus 30 mins by tube. Choosing accommodation close to Canary Wharf will lose some advantages of main campus resources. Tough choice indeed.

What are you referring to? The library?

I'm guessing one of the huge advantages to Canary Wharf is that you could be interning in the morning and at lectures in the afternoon.

Are you in the position to apply to the MiM Masters in Management at London Business School?

You had to have graduated in the past year or be graduating this year.

https://www.london.edu/education-and-development/masters-courses/masters-in-management#.VrWsyViLQhe

The LBS brand is superior to Imperial and UCL, if you really want to choose something.
Original post by Protagoras
Are you in the position to apply to the MiM Masters in Management at London Business School?

You had to have graduated in the past year or be graduating this year.

https://www.london.edu/education-and-development/masters-courses/masters-in-management#.VrWsyViLQhe

The LBS brand is superior to Imperial and UCL, if you really want to choose something.

Hi there

As I already have skme work experience I dont qualify for the MiM at LBS. Hence I chose these two.

I believe the faculty of the MSc in Management at UCL is also really good. I worry a bit that the School is new and not yet recognized so much. But UCL as a whole is very well reputated.
Hi there

As I already have skme work experience I dont qualify for the MiM at LBS. Hence I chose these two.

I believe the faculty of the MSc in Management at UCL is also really good. I worry a bit that the School is new and not yet recognized so much. But UCL as a whole is very well reputated.

What are you hoping to do? Management is a broad subject. Have you thought about LSE?
What are you referring to? The library?

I'm guessing one of the huge advantages to Canary Wharf is that you could be interning in the morning and at lectures in the afternoon.

Interning? You sure there's no lecture in the morning?
Interning? You sure there's no lecture in the morning?

UCL must see this to their advantage. The school of management will be in 1. Canada Square which is full of companies so you won't even have to leave the building!

Bank of New York Mellon / J.P. Morgan / Moodys / Coutts / State Street
(edited 8 years ago)
What are you hoping to do? Management is a broad subject. Have you thought about LSE?

I have thought about LSE but there I was rejected. My aim to do the technology management track of the MSc in Management and either work in consulting or join a tech company. Hence having the Level39 startup accelartor in the same building would be a great. Currenlty I am leaning a bit more to UCL also because living in East London is cooler and cheaper than trying to find a place near South Kensington.
I have thought about LSE but there I was rejected. My aim to do the technology management track of the MSc in Management and either work in consulting or join a tech company. Hence having the Level39 startup accelartor in the same building would be a great. Currenlty I am leaning a bit more to UCL also because living in East London is cooler and cheaper than trying to find a place near South Kensington.

I saw this Level 39 start-up accelerator and it looked amazing! http://www.level39.co/

UCL being right underneath on level 38! Being interested in technology management makes your choice more difficult as Imperial offers a fantastic course for that.

As I said before you are going to have to draw up the pros and cons and go with your gut instinct but I have to add that UCL is building something new and fascinating being in the midst of things and silicon roundabout / tech city is in the east of London / shoreditch.

Good luck, I hope you make a decision you are happy with.
UCL must see this to their advantage. The school of management will be in 1. Canada Square which is full of companies so you won't even have to leave the building!

My previous internships all required full-day presence at the office. I just cannot imagine what financial or consultancy related companies offer internship that only works half-day. Part-time job could work though.
My previous internships all required full-day presence at the office. I just cannot imagine what financial or consultancy related companies offer internship that only works half-day. Part-time job could work though.

It wouldn't surprise me if UCL had worked out some internships around these things.

I had an internship that I could work half the day so it is possible.

On an internship you are only contributing and not responsible so you should find work experience that is flexible.
Congratulations for your offers! Have you made a decision already?
Currently I am applying to IEM at Imperial, and will have the video interview in a week. Could you share some insight in the interview preparation and the skills/methods to answer the questions? if you could let me know your interview questions, it will be great!
Thank you so much!
Original post by VictoriaQ
Congratulations for your offers! Have you made a decision already?
Currently I am applying to IEM at Imperial, and will have the video interview in a week. Could you share some insight in the interview preparation and the skills/methods to answer the questions? if you could let me know your interview questions, it will be great!
Thank you so much!

Hi there

Thanks a lot. I decided to go to UCL because the programme and some chats with alumni convinced me. The main reason is that UCL offers me a programme that builds upon my existing knowledge of business i.e. Route B of the programme. In terms of video interview, just have a quiet comfortable place to do it and think about what you wrote in your personal statement. I believe it should align with the answers of the questions which usually aim for knowing why you want to study at Imperial.

Hope it helps.
Hi everyone,
I just applied for Imperial and UCL for entrepreneurship MSc. And I also got an offer from the University of Manchester, MSc Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship.

I am an international so I really am confused about choosing the right university. Does Manchester University is good for its entrepreneurship departmant? For business? Could you give me some information?
Have you heard back from UCL or Imperial yet?
I attended the interviews of both UCL and Imperial but I did not get the results yet. I am really confused about which university to choose. I would like to be in London. UCL program seems more satisfying than the Imperial's. Imperial focuses on general management in the first term and accepting newly graduates. Some people said UCL is new at Entrepreneurship MSc but it is a great school, as well. Any recommendations?
Reply 19
I've applied to both Imperial and UCL for Msc Management , currently hold an offer from UCL still waiting on Imperial (11 weeks now, the waiting game is agony!!!)

Does anyone here have experience studying Msc Management at either Imperial or UCL, it would be really helpful to hear about your experiences!

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending