Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thinking of coming out as Autistic in my mid-20's Watch

Announcements

Hi guys,
    I am thinking of coming out that I am Autistic. I have a form of Autism that is high-functioning.
    I have been to normal mainstream school, a coeducational University and I have lived away from home for 6 months. I am 24 and I have played in sports teams and Drama etc. I am saying this because I have generally hidden what I have or denied it before. It was only recently that I had a few failures resulting in a 'quarter-life' thing (a job that didn't work out and discovering among other things) that has made me try to question) that has made me realize how I was able to survive. Some people have known mainly close friends but but I feel the need to come out.
    It is only now in therapy as one of the issues that has cropt up which I am trying to tackle. I feel coming out would help relieve my anxiety etc.
    I am still in therapy at the moment, feel that this could be one of the biggest steps I would take but I want to live a life true. I understand if it would make people feel uncomfortable however.
    What do people think?

ReputationRep:
    Well in terms of being autistic like everything it is your business but at the same time, nothing to be embarrassed about so if you want to tell people feel free but you don't particularly owe it to anyone. If you feel that it will affect other areas of your life it might be good to give a heads up to employers, teachers etc. But other than that, there's no real reason to 'come out' unless you feel it's something that will help you

ReputationRep:
    Entirely up to you I have known people at uni etc who have been quite open about their ASD and I have never known it really affect anyone's opinion
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you. I've never felt the need to come out. Well, one friend knew anyway (I had to ask him for advice, aware that he'd worked it out anyway - it's knida because of him I have my diagnosis) and had quite a lot of explaining to do to another friend, in which I had to explain the reason for my issues is because I have Autism. But I know that quite a few people have worked it out even without me telling them.

ReputationRep:
    "coming out" seems like a pretty over dramatic term to use when you're just disclosing your autism spectrum diagnosis.

I have Aspergers and it's not a big deal or secret. Most people wouldn't even guess I have it, when I tell people about it its usually when the topic comes up randomly in conversation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.