Law books - recommendations

Watch this thread
mjj94
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have an unconditional to study undergraduate law at The University of Strathclyde. I understand I won’t know what textbooks to buy yet, as the course does not start until September, but I was just wondering if anyone would be able to recommend some good law books to just read until then. I saw the Oxford Law Dictionary and it looks excellent – however, I am not sure how often new editions come out?

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Kingski
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Learning Legal Rules - Holland and Webb, good first year book for LLB. Be careful buying law books though, they are very expensive and they very quickly go out of date as they constantly have new editions to reflect changing law. I'd just get this one to start with.
mjj94
Rep:
Thanks I'll check that one out!
evalilyXOX
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
First of all, congratulations on your acceptance into Strathclyde !

I wouldn't buy the oxford dictionary, as you have to watch that it doesn't concern English law rather than Scots Law.

Usually you will be sent out a reading list over the summer which you can use to read up before you start. However, if I were you, I would wait until you actually start in September as you usually find that the recommended reading list over the Summer will have no bearing on how well you do in the first few weeks.

I remember when i started at Glasgow, they sent us out this reading list and they ended up being of no importance throughout the academic year as they were not the essential reading materials for the course.

Also law books are expensive so I would hate for you to waste all that money on books that you will hardly ever use, and are also readily available at the uni library.

If you are desperate to read something over the summer, then I would recommend maybe a book introducing you to the Scottish Legal system with brief overviews of the main branches of the law. I cant think of one to mind, but something cheap and simple so that you have a clearish understanding of what it is you will be looking at before you start classes.
Kingski
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by evalilyXOX)
First of all, congratulations on your acceptance into Strathclyde !

I wouldn't buy the oxford dictionary, as you have to watch that it doesn't concern English law rather than Scots Law.

Usually you will be sent out a reading list over the summer which you can use to read up before you start. However, if I were you, I would wait until you actually start in September as you usually find that the recommended reading list over the Summer will have no bearing on how well you do in the first few weeks.

I remember when i started at Glasgow, they sent us out this reading list and they ended up being of no importance throughout the academic year as they were not the essential reading materials for the course.

Also law books are expensive so I would hate for you to waste all that money on books that you will hardly ever use, and are also readily available at the uni library.

If you are desperate to read something over the summer, then I would recommend maybe a book introducing you to the Scottish Legal system with brief overviews of the main branches of the law. I cant think of one to mind, but something cheap and simple so that you have a clearish understanding of what it is you will be looking at before you start classes.
Good point! I forgot he/she may be studying Scottish law and not English law!
evalilyXOX
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Kingski)
Good point! I forgot he/she may be studying Scottish law and not English law!
Haha I know i would hate for them to read about the wrong legal system and then become really confused. The scots and english/welsh legal systems are totally different so it would make no sense for them to waste their time, especially during the summer !
mjj94
Rep:
Thanks both - I appreciate it. Good points.

I'm a she lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads