The Student Room Group

Struggling with insurance choice?

I've applied to do modern languages at Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter, Southampton and Oxford. I'm going to firm Oxford but I'm finding it hard to choose an insurance choice!

I know Southampton is ranked quite highly for languages, but I loved Bristol as a place, so can anyone offer any adivce?
Reply 1
Original post by AC57
I've applied to do modern languages at Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter, Southampton and Oxford. I'm going to firm Oxford but I'm finding it hard to choose an insurance choice!

I know Southampton is ranked quite highly for languages, but I loved Bristol as a place, so can anyone offer any adivce?

Firstly, if you can, and even if you've visited the unis before, try to go to any applicant days you may be invited to. Although these are similar to open days, you get a more in-depth view of the department you'd be attending, which can be a deal breaker, as you may find something you particularly like or dislike about each of your unis.

Compare the modules offered on each course. Are there any you would absolutely love (or absolutely hate) to do?

Compare the options for your year abroad. Some of your unis may have agreements with prestigious unis in the country/countries you hope to go to on your year abroad (if you don't want to go down the language assistant road). Still on this topic, how much support does each uni offer in organising your year abroad?

Compare your accommodation options. Some unis let you apply for and guarantee you accommodation even if you have only insured them. Others will not let you apply until you have a confirmed place with them (i.e. if you miss your firm choice offer and they reject you) by which time there will not be much choice left in the way of accommodation at your insurance uni, even if they do guarantee to place you. And some quite simply will not guarantee accommodation at all for insurance applicants, which could leave you scrambling around looking for accommodation at the very last minute. Consider the cost of accommodation too.

Think about how easy/difficult it will be to get home from the uni, especially if you are considering going home more often than just at Christmas and Easter.

And lastly, take a look at the student life offerings, such as clubs, societies and other activities, since life at uni is not just about studying.

I hope this helps.
Good luck. :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you! That is very helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending