Transgender people without surgury recognised in Olympics Watch

Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/01/22...aign=PNTwitter

Restrictions have been loosened to allow transgender athlets to compete in the Olympics without undergoing a surgical transition. Men will be able to compete without restriction, whereas women will have to prove they are below a maximum level of testosterone so as not to enjoy any competitive advantage. Personally I think this is a great move to allow more transgender people to freely compete, but I'll be interested to see if there's any significant backlash from more conservative countries should any athletes take advantage of these new rules.
BaconandSauce
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/01/22...aign=PNTwitter

Restrictions have been loosened to allow transgender athlets to compete in the Olympics without undergoing a surgical transition. Men will be able to compete without restriction, whereas women will have to prove they are below a maximum level of testosterone so as not to enjoy any competitive advantage. Personally I think this is a great move to allow more transgender people to freely compete, but I'll be interested to see if there's any significant backlash from more conservative countries should any athletes take advantage of these new rules.
Have to agree this is a huge step forward for the Olympics

But yes will be interesting to see if there's any backlash and how it's handled in the future
_Ddraig_
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wonder how other athletes will feel about all of this. I mean, if i was a women athlete competing against a trans-woman (or however it is politically correctly defined), the fact that that person was formally a man would certainly play on my mind.
joey11223
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by _Morsey_)
I wonder how other athletes will feel about all of this. I mean, if i was a women athlete competing against a trans-woman (or however it is politically correctly defined), the fact that that person was formally a man would certainly play on my mind.
Aye can't say I pretend to know much about hormones and musculature but if you're a well built man who doesn't decide to become a woman until after puberty has completed, sure you can have your testosterone lowered but wont the build you've developed still persist for at least quite some time giving you an advantage over biological females?
Dandaman1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The genders are divided in the Olympics not for social reasons, but for physical reasons. You can't really have a fair situation where people with male bodies are competing against people with female bodies, regardless of their testosterone levels at that particular time. I think this pursuit of 'political correctness' is really starting to complicate matters more than common sense and practicality should permit.
Sgt_Haytham
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well seeing that I can't oppose this without being seen as a bigot/transphobe, I'm going to keep quiet.
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ridiculous decision
MildredMalone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Couldn't a team of men all claim to be trans, and them annihilate a team of ciswomen?
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do not agree with this for the same reasons that I did not support Fallon Fox. I think that transgender people should be able to live their life in much the same way as anyone else and I think part of this is understanding that being genetically male, from what I understand, means that you have greater bone density, larger lungs, larger hands, more muscle mass etc. I suppose it might be quite different if the person fully transitioned before they went through puberty but in the vast majority of cases I do not think that this is fair. I'm certainly willing to read scientific studies suggesting I'm incorrect.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm both ideologically and personally sympathetic towards the LGBT cause, but this sounds like a boil-in-the-bag recipe for total bedlam.
Sgt_Haytham
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Zoey Tur would certainly still be able to beat man or woman. She's a beast.

FluffyCherry
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What has this world come to ... :noway: :noway: :noway:
A male WILL ALWAYS BE A MALE and a female WILL ALWAYS BE A FEMALE ... no matter what the media or anyone says!

The decision made by the Olympics is unfair to the other athletes!!
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BaconandSauce)
Have to agree this is a huge step forward for the Olympics
How is this a huge step forward? Does it not mean that basically a man can compete in a woman's event?
BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
How is this a huge step forward? Does it not mean that basically a man can compete in a woman's event?
Do you not know how this works?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you not know how this works?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_identity
Yes, I know all about this. But, under these new rules would it not be possible for a male who identifies as a female to participate in a female competition? And if so would he not have an unfair advantage due to higher muscle mass and such like?
BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Yes, I know all about this.
Then why the confusion and asinine question?
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Then why the confusion and asinine question?
Would you have been OK with Bruce Jenner announcing he was a woman and then competing with women and winning back in the day when he looked like this and then be hailed as a female athelete? And then we should have celebrated this woman as a feminist icon and as a legendary female athlete? Please.

BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
Would you have been OK with Bruce Jenner announcing he was a woman and then competing with women and winning back in the day when he looked like this and then be hailed as a female athelete? And then we should have celebrated this woman as a feminist icon and as a legendary female athlete? Please.

If you actually read the article it does explain how this works. That you are asking question like this shows you haven't and if you have you've not understood it.
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you actually read the article it does explain how this works. That you are asking question like this shows you haven't and if you have you've not understood it.
Rofl, I have read it and all it says is that testosterone level needs to be low.
BaconandSauce
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FluffyCherry)
What has this world come to ... :noway: :noway: :noway:
A male WILL ALWAYS BE A MALE and a female WILL ALWAYS BE A FEMALE ... no matter what the media or anyone says!

The decision made by the Olympics is unfair to the other athletes!!
Is this the tolerance you show to others while seeking tolerance your you choices.

I've said this before most people in the UK have family who are gay whose side do you think we are going to be on in your case?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads