Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Transgender people without surgury recognised in Olympics Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why not just do away with the gender boundaries all together and force men to compete against women permanently. This is a riddiculous choice they've made... what has the world come to!?

ReputationRep:
    More special snowflakes to add to the pile.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give a toss, the Olympics is ****ed, corruption at the top level and it's not going to stop.

Low level amateur sport ftw.

ReputationRep:
    This is absurd, we segregate people in sport based upon SEX not gender. We do this for very simple reasons, when it comes to sports men and women can never compete on a level playing field men have a BIOLOGICAL advantage over women. Someone who is biologically female identifying as male is NOT going to have the biological advantage all the men they are competing with have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LVRG)
    Why not just do away with the gender boundaries all together and force men to compete against women permanently. This is a riddiculous choice they've made... what has the world come to!?
    95% of sports would just be men's only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    95% of sports would just be men's only
    Exactly. To be honest, the only 'solution' I can envision here is to have trans-men only compete with other trans-men and trans-women do the same.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the world anymore

ReputationRep:
    The world really has gone mad'!
    This is probably in the Top Ten stupidest thing ive ever seen on TSR.
    A man is always going to be physically a man, regardless of the hormone therapy and removing of genitals.
    Lord give me strength

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Exactly. To be honest, the only 'solution' I can envision here is to have trans-men only compete with other trans-men and trans-women do the same.
    And in that case the talent pools would be tiny so they'll just have to suck it up and not transition until their athletic career is over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt_Haytham)
    Well seeing that I can't oppose this without being seen as a bigot/transphobe, I'm going to keep quiet.
    Don't be stupid. Yes there are those that use those words indiscriminately, but not everyone does that, and there's no obligation to listen. You really should just ignore them.

(Original post by FluffyCherry)
    What has this world come to ... :noway: :noway: :noway:
    A male WILL ALWAYS BE A MALE and a female WILL ALWAYS BE A FEMALE ... no matter what the media or anyone says!

The decision made by the Olympics is unfair to the other athletes!!
    From what I can deduce about your beliefs, I disagree.

Sex
    - male / inter-sex / female.
    male = XY, penis, female = XX, vagina

Gender, sense of self in relation to sex

Must go, I'll finish tomorrow if I remember.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Well it was bound to happen at some point. The only logical step from here is to see if this actually works. Providing there is no actual advantage/disadvantage apparent, then sure, I've got no issue with it. If however it does become an issue then I this shouldn't be happening. I feel like this whole decision could open up a can of worms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    I thought you said you understood how this works

But do you think people chose their sexuality?

But do love the idea you think Bolt could just throw on a G-String, padded bra and some lippy and even running in slingbacks partake in the women's 100m (the absurdity of the idea has made me chuckle so much so I'll write in to the Now Show on Radio 4 and see if I can get my first joke on radio)
    I've probably forgotten more about this issue than you will ever know. You are twisting my words because you can't or don't want to answer my question. I never said I thought that Bolt could dress up like some sort of Emily Howard and compete as a woman. I know the difference between a transvestite and a transgendered person.

Don't lecture me on transgenderism. I don't need schooling on this subject. Just answer my ****in question or (if you can't) just shut your mouth.

ReputationRep:
    To avoid confusion, I'm referring throughout to biological sex:

I'm happy to allow women to compete in the men's events if they want. I'd rather there wasn't the distraction from the actual sport, but I have no fundamental with it, if they really want to face a field of objectively physically advantaged competitors. Allowing men to compete in the women's events is completely nuts, though.

ReputationRep:
    I am obviously huge on LGBTQIA rights but I don't think this is really a good thing. The Olympics are about sports... there are distinct biological differences between men and women which impact on how the majority perform with and against eachother. This therefore makes it unfair and something like the Olympics should instantly discredit anything which offers that potential, regardless of whether some women can beat other men or not. When you start dragging social/political issues into things like this, you don't get equality, you get despised because you're more or less using your dispostition to gain an advantage. I understand that it's a difficult issue and I wish there was a way around it and something that could be done but there just... isn't? At this stage.

As I said... the Olympics are about sports and nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    Couldn't a team of men all claim to be trans, and them annihilate a team of ciswomen?
    (Original post by Howard)
    Yes, I know all about this. But, under these new rules would it not be possible for a male who identifies as a female to participate in a female competition? And if so would he not have an unfair advantage due to higher muscle mass and such like?
    This isn't Bender in a dress from Futurama, it's a bit more complex than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    This isn't Bender in a dress from Futurama, it's a bit more complex than that.
    But seriously; I KNOW this isn't what we are talking about.

But my question really couldn't be simpler. Bruce Jenner identified as a woman way back in the seventies. He was transgender. Would it have been fair for Bruce to have competed in women's competitions (as Caitlyn) in the 1976 Olympics games? Surely not because despite of his self identification as a woman his body mass would have given him an enormous advantage over the other competitors. He'd have wiped the floor with the competition.

But isn't this scenario exactly what the new Olympic rules allow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    But seriously; I KNOW this isn't what we are talking about.

But my question really couldn't be simpler. Bruce Jenner identified as a woman way back in the seventies. He was transgender. Would it have been fair for Bruce to have competed in women's competitions (as Caitlyn) in the 1976 Olympics games? Surely not because despite of his self identification as a woman his body mass would have given him an enormous advantage over the other competitors. He'd have wiped the floor with the competition.

But isn't this scenario exactly what the new Olympic rules allow?
    Bruce would not have been able to go just go "I am Caitlyn" (which of course, we now know she is) right before the Olympics and be allowed to compete in the women's events. There would have had to have been some transition process already started - and hence the testosterone requirement.

I don't know if the criteria are stringent enough, if maybe instead of just looking at testosterone levels there is something else regarding muscle mass - or have to have maintained being below a certain level of testosterone for a certain amount of time, while training, or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyCherry)
    Wooow, you honestly must be joking!!

Biological sex is the same as gender whether you like it or not!! XX you're female, and so is your gender! XY you're male, and so is your gender! If you define yourself anything else other than that, then this is called mental illness!!
    You just argued yourself into the ground, your arguments defeat you.
    (Though I don't agree with your arguments.)

"If you define yourself anything else other than that, then this is called mental illness!!"

1) So sex and gender are different, even if it involves mental illness (by your own argument.)

2) Mental illnesses are within existence (by your own argument), or do you deny that?

ReputationRep:
    Look forward to the day when the women's
    Olympic 100m finals is made up practically all of TG women, just like how the men's is made up of practically all black athletes.
    It's the future I tell ye!😊

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.