Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hey everyone,

    In a rush so not had a chance to check all FAQs or searches for this topic, so wanted to ask quickly before rushing off.

    I'm English, but thinking of doing a PGDE, rather than a PGCE, in Scotland. I'd love to study in the beautiful city of Edinburgh.

    I know that Student Finance England give funding for PGCEs in England, but do they fund English students wanting to do the PGDE in Scotland?

    I got very conflicting information. The first time I called SFE, they told me to speak to the Student Awards Agency Scotland and said that because I'd be moving to Scotland, they would have to fund me.

    SAAS has an eligibility criteria that clearly states that you must be an 'ordinary' resident of Scotland prior to the course starting and that moving to Scotland purely to take up a course bars you from eligibility.

    That makes sense....I'm English and have lived in England, so SFE should fund me right?

    I called SFE a second time and got told the totally opposite to the first time. This lady made more sense, and said that because I'd lived in England since birth (almost 31 years :'-( ), I would be eligible for SFE funding for a PGCE/PGDE even if it was in Scotland provided that I did not already have Qualified Teacher Status, which I do not.

    Can anyone shed any further light on the policy please?

    Thanks in advance for your time.
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    I will admit I don't know a huge amount about hoe the funding for PGCE / PDGE students works. However, if you normally live in England, it's SFE you apply to. You only apply to SAAS if that's where you normally reside. It doesn't matter where you plan on studying in the UK. What matters is where you normally live. It should tell you that when you apply.

    I second the other poster. Apply through SFE, as that's where you reside, and you will be eligible for funding for any course anywhere in the UK. Good luck with your apps!
    • Thread Starter

    Thank you, I was just a little thrown off when the first lady at SFE said I had to apply to SAAS because the course was based in Scotland :-S.

    One other question. What's the difference between a PGCE and a PGCert? Are they both the same? If not which is better? Wikipedia and Google don't really offer up any info.

    I'm thinking of doing a training course that confers QTS and a PGCert but it says 'and there is the opportunity to gain a PGCert 60 credits towards Masters accreditation.' Does one obtain the PGCert AND 60 credits towards an MA or is it 60 credits towards an MA that is PGCert? Or is the MA separate and does it follow the PGCert as an additional c

    So confused. Sorry for the noob questions, it's all a little overwhelming.
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.