The Student Room Group

Self-directed racism from minorities.

I just found this article really racist and offensive. Unless I am reading this wrong, this girl basically wrote an insecure article that ends up mocking her own race... for a couple of likes on a university website that caters for impressionable (sometimes racist) students. What is wrong with people these days?

Why are these people so ashamed of themselves that they publish articles demonstrating how much they hate themselves?!

http://thetab.com/uk/lancaster/2015/11/30/chinese-english-uni-dont-speak-ching-chong-3668?utm_source&utm_medium&utm_campaign

"As for “being yellow”, I really cannot provide an explanation because my skin color is obviously not yellow, or else I would be starring in The Simpsons or Minions. And for Chinese having “small dicks”: everything is a comparison, so maybe that’s not really fair. But yeah, it’s smaller than a white guy’s. Sorry."

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm. I think most of this is just very honest and true, and actually very interesting. When does the truth become racist? And self directed racism can be a way to take back control of the types of racist slurs to show it doesn't get to you. Take a lot of black people calling referring to themselves and each other as ni**er for example.

Most of what she is saying is her observations of the typical reaction in England towards her race and her responses/defences of this. I like it.
Reply 2
Original post by EtherealNymph22
Hmmm. I think most of this is just very honest and true, and actually very interesting. When does the truth become racist? And self directed racism can be a way to take back control of the types of racist slurs to show it doesn't get to you. Take a lot of black people calling referring to themselves and each other as ni**er for example.

Most of what she is saying is her observations of the typical reaction in England towards her race and her responses/defences of this. I like it.

And for Chinese having “small dicks”: everything is a comparison, so maybe that’s not really fair. But yeah, it’s smaller than a white guy’s. Sorry."

That isn't racist? Calling her family effectively small dicks and smaller than white people? Has she got proof of that? It's a violation of the integrity of the men. If it was about black men or indian men there would be an uproar.

I am mixed btw, so in a sense i am doubly offended by this. 1. It asssumes the racial ignorance of white people. 2). It slurs Chinese people in an attempt to gain likes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
And for Chinese having “small dicks”: everything is a comparison, so maybe that’s not really fair. But yeah, it’s smaller than a white guy’s. Sorry."

That isn't racist? Calling her family effectively small dicks and smaller than white people? Has she got proof of that? It's a violation of the integrity of the men. If it was about black men or indian men there would be an uproar.

On average Chinese people have smaller penises? Of course there are ranges, there are with every continuous trait. But there is going to be an average point. However not sure how much actual evidence for this there is but obviously from her personal sampling of Chinese men and white men, they are smaller. But it is a bit of a generalisation. That was only a small part at the end, the rest of it was fine. She made one comment about penis size and your thread is about minorities projecting 'self hate'. I thought it was actually very positive and humerous.
Reply 4
On average Chinese people have smaller penises? Of course there are ranges, there are with every continuous trait. But there is going to be an average point. However not sure how much actual evidence for this there is but obviously from her personal sampling of Chinese men and white men, they are smaller. But it is a bit of a generalisation. That was only a small part at the end, the rest of it was fine. She made one comment about penis size and your thread is about minorities projecting 'self hate'. I thought it was actually very positive and humerous.

Yeah but all it takes is a sentence to make an article racist. If this was an article about any other race people would be up in arms. There is a double standard that people cannot admit because racism towards the Chinese is not acknowledged.

As per bolded part, yes, she is using her own bigoted and limited perspective to form wide ranging generalisations and stereotyping. That is ****ing racist.

What if it was a male talking about a female vagina? It's free speech, but also a violation of a minority's dignity. What if it was a sentence about black men being more criminal than white men? Its a double standard. A disgrace. And yet this woman is so called educated and writing in a university newspaper full of impressionable students!
Reply 5
Original post by RivalPlayer
Another Chinese girl fawning over white people? It's nothing new.

What annoys me is it also assumes the ignorance of other races towards her. What sort of an attitude is that? It's disgusting. It is so defensive. People could just be unintentionally non the wiser about her background.

That isn't racist? .

No it's not if she thinks it's the truth

But do you think she should not be able to discuss issues surrounding her race?
What annoys me is it also assumes the ignorance of other races towards her. What sort of an attitude is that? It's disgusting. It is so defensive. People could just be unintentionally non the wiser about her background.

I don't understand why someone isn't allowed to write about their own experiences without someone jumping on them to tell them it's disgusting or whatever. She is a Chinese student at an English university and SHE has experienced those stereotypes. She's not assuming the stereotypes based on nothing. She's lived and breathed the stereotypes through her experience and in my opinion that gives her the right to talk about it.

As for the penis size thing, it did bring it all down. But it's not really self hating. If she had said black guys have bigger dicks (which is a common stereotype) would you be up in arms about it?

Maybe a Chinese guy who you appear to be speaking for could weigh in and see how he feels. All too often it is not the supposed target of the racism who is offended. It's PC people who can't see the light in situations.
Reply 8
There isn't much effort from the Chinese side in UK universities either as they come in such large numbers, they seem to have no motivation to hang out with or understand non chinese people or culture.
But in the end it doesn't even matter.
Original post by Jebedee
There isn't much effort from the Chinese side in UK universities either as they come in such large numbers, they seem to have no motivation to hang out with or understand non chinese people or culture.

Did you even read the article?!!!
Reply 11
Chinese at University don't integrate with others for the most part everyone knows that
Original post by BaconandSauce
No it's not if she thinks it's the truth

But do you think she should not be able to discuss issues surrounding her race?

I think it is a lazy generalisation. I think it lacks decency. I think because she is generalising and stereotyping, attaching labels, it is racism. Just because is Chinese, it doesn't mean its not racism.
I think it is a lazy generalisation. I think it lacks decency. I think because she is generalising and stereotyping, attaching labels, it is racism. Just because is Chinese, it doesn't mean its not racism.

No she is discussing issue about her race not about someone the race of someone else

are you chinese by any chance?
I don't understand why someone isn't allowed to write about their own experiences without someone jumping on them to tell them it's disgusting or whatever. She is a Chinese student at an English university and SHE has experienced those stereotypes. She's not assuming the stereotypes based on nothing. She's lived and breathed the stereotypes through her experience and in my opinion that gives her the right to talk about it.

As for the penis size thing, it did bring it all down. But it's not really self hating. If she had said black guys have bigger dicks (which is a common stereotype) would you be up in arms about it?

Maybe a Chinese guy who you appear to be speaking for could weigh in and see how he feels. All too often it is not the supposed target of the racism who is offended. It's PC people who can't see the light in situations.

Yeah, because it is ****ing offensive and a racial generalisation and stereotype. All it does is reinforce those bigoted beliefs.
Original post by BaconandSauce
No she is discussing issue about her race not about someone the race of someone else

are you chinese by any chance?

Yes, yes i am chinese because I look Chinese.

And yes, it is offensive towards me. You can be racist against your own race.
Yeah, because it is ****ing offensive and a racial generalisation and stereotype. All it does is reinforce those bigoted beliefs.

Do you think black people shouldn't be allowed to say n****r to each other and refer to themselves as n****rs?
Do you think black people shouldn't be allowed to say n****r to each other and refer to themselves as n****rs?

They can say what they want to each other, but its wrong. Its wrong that they use that term. I get that its the whole "showing it does not bother them" thing, but its still wrong because a lot of people are offended by its degrading nature and bigoted background.
The only thing wrong with the article was her throwing in the small penis stereotype and saying it's true. If a Chinese guy wrote the same article but said Chinese girls had breasts flatter than a piece of paper compared to white girls how would people react? Especially all the people here saying there is nothing wrong with what she last said.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr Smurf
The only thing wrong with the article was her throwing in the small penis stereotype and saying it's true. If a Chinese guy wrote the same article but said Chinese girls had breasts flatter than a piece of paper compared to white girls how would people react? Especially all the people here saying there is nothing wrong with what she last said.

There would be a mass uproar. There are some serious double standards regarding how some minorities of men are dehumanized, it is so politicized.

Notably dehumanized:

Muslim Men
East Asian men
Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Sri-Lankan men.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending