The Student Room Group

Self-directed racism from minorities.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EtherealNymph22
not to be nit picky but this is a generalisation, you are saying what is wrong with people- because one person has put up a post you are generalising others.

Plus an earlier comment about black people committing more crime than white men and there being an uproar- if it's specific to a country/area and there are statistics to back it up, how is that racist?!! it's actually just a statement of fact.

There have been similar articles in the past of the same nature, always attacking Chinese people. Always written by such women.

But people don't use statistics. It's like her, she wasn't using stats, no attempt to prove. Just saying **** is true without any fair and open study.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
You assume the worst of the people you have never met but when a girl actually insults an entire race of people you are saying "not racist". Biased.

I'm actually asking you. And I'm not assuming. do you have a response? I didn't say it was not racist but there are different levels of racism and different ways in which so-called racist comments are meant. Inherent and ignorant racism hurts people every day- I get it. But when it's done in a lighthearted manner by someone who has spent the rest of the article talking about classic stereotypes I don't see what the issue is? If it was a similar article aimed at girls of my colour I wouldn't be offended. I would be offended if someone was treating me differently because of my race or if I was denied opportunities on the basis of my colour.
Her last sentence is terrible. It's like saying this:

South Asians stink.
Black people are lower iq than the average non black.

Yet people say that what she said isn't ****ing racist!

See, people are now going to flag this post as racist when its the same ****ing thing!
Reply 43
Original post by BaconandSauce
No it's not if she thinks it's the truth

But do you think she should not be able to discuss issues surrounding her race?

lololol so you are saying it's not racist 'if she thinks it's the truth'

if I believed black people to be criminals, you are saying it wouldn't be racist to say black people are criminals, because i believe it.

(I'm sorry for bringing black stereotypes into it but I've found that people don't tend to see racism against minorities other than blacks)
I just found this article really racist and offensive. Unless I am reading this wrong, this girl basically wrote an insecure article that ends up mocking her own race... for a couple of likes on a university website that caters for impressionable (sometimes racist) students. What is wrong with people these days?

Why are these people so ashamed of themselves that they publish articles demonstrating how much they hate themselves?!

http://thetab.com/uk/lancaster/2015/11/30/chinese-english-uni-dont-speak-ching-chong-3668?utm_source&utm_medium&utm_campaign

"As for “being yellow”, I really cannot provide an explanation because my skin color is obviously not yellow, or else I would be starring in The Simpsons or Minions. And for Chinese having “small dicks”: everything is a comparison, so maybe that’s not really fair. But yeah, it’s smaller than a white guy’s. Sorry."

U wot m8?

Its barely racist or self deprecating at all tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm actually asking you. And I'm not assuming. do you have a response? I didn't say it was not racist but there are different levels of racism and different ways in which so-called racist comments are meant. Inherent and ignorant racism hurts people every day- I get it. But when it's done in a lighthearted manner by someone who has spent the rest of the article talking about classic stereotypes I don't see what the issue is? If it was a similar article aimed at girls of my colour I wouldn't be offended. I would be offended if someone was treating me differently because of my race or if I was denied opportunities on the basis of my colour.

And i am telling you, you asked this question;
"When does the truth become racist?"
You assumed that her racist and snide remark about penis sizes was correct "the truth". Generalisation. She shows no proof, she shows no attempt to show proof or studies. She just states an opinion. Not fact.

When it gets into opinion, opinions can be RACIST.
Original post by nhtw

if I believed black people to be criminals, you are saying it wouldn't be racist to say black people are criminals, because i believe it.

(I'm sorry for bringing black stereotypes into it but I've found that people don't tend to see racism against minorities other than blacks)

but she thinks it's the truth for her - truth to an individual is different from absolute truth-it's all relative and dependent on experiences. If from her experience Chinese guys have on average smaller penises than white guys than this is just her opinion.

Your comment is not about the relativity of black criminals nor is it backed up by your experiences. Your just talking about say 'All blacks are criminals'. If you said, in my country, the stats show that black people are more likely to commit crime then I fail to see how that is racist.

If she had said, all chinese guys have small penises then yeah I'd think that is really offensive but she's just making a little joke based on the usual stereotypes from people towards her rice and augmenting it with her personal opinion based on her personal experiences. The two situations are not analogous.
Original post by nhtw

EXACTLY. Some people on this thread can't think of this very basic point. That opinions can be racist. But facts are not. She stated no facts when she joked about penis size. Just opinion.

Like I said, its like a hypothetical person expressing these statements (which are their opinions!):

"South Asians stink.
Black people are lower iq than the average non black. "

Yet people say that what she said isn't ****ing racist!
but she thinks it's the truth for her - truth to an individual is different from absolute truth-it's all relative and dependent on experiences. If from her experience Chinese guys have on average smaller penises than white guys than this is just her opinion.

Your comment is not about the relativity of black criminals nor is it backed up by your experiences. Your just talking about say 'All blacks are criminals'. If you said, in my country, the stats show that black people are more likely to commit crime then I fail to see how that is racist.

If she had said, all chinese guys have small penises then yeah I'd think that is really offensive but she's just making a little joke based on the usual stereotypes from people towards her rice and augmenting it with her personal opinion based on her personal experiences. The two situations are not analogous.

Yeah, and Hitler can say that he saw a few Jews acting greedy. So its truth for him. Get the **** out of here. You defend racism.
And i am telling you, you asked this question;
"When does the truth become racist?"
You assumed that her racist and snide remark about penis sizes was correct "the truth". Generalisation. She shows no proof, she shows no attempt to show proof or studies. She just states an opinion. Not fact.

When it gets into opinion, opinions can be RACIST.

I was talking about the whole of her article when I asked that question. You were referring to the entire article as part of your thread. If you had just said it was that one last line about chinese penis size then the whole thread would have taken a slightly different direction. Her whole article was true based upon her experiences at university in the UK and the stereotypes she experiences as a chinese girl-she wasn't self directing any racism until the penis comment, which I agree, isn't an accurate picture of all chinese men.
Yeah, and Hitler can say that he saw a few Jews acting greedy. So its truth for him. Get the **** out of here. You defend racism.

I'm not saying it's ok, nor am I saying it's not racist- I'm merely pointing out what the previous poster meant by that. If you don't want to have a discussion then fine. But I can go wherever I want on an internet forum.
I was talking about the whole of her article when I asked that question. You were referring to the entire article as part of your thread. If you had just said it was that one last line about chinese penis size then the whole thread would have taken a slightly different direction. Her whole article was true based upon her experiences at university in the UK and the stereotypes she experiences as a chinese girl-she wasn't self directing any racism until the penis comment, which I agree, isn't an accurate picture of all chinese men.

The last sentence is very ****ing snide as it devalues her whole article and her credibility as a writer. Unreliable narration. It's all some insecure girl's opinion. She makes it seem like white people are ****ing deliberately ignorant and that she is a bit of a victim. Yet she shows REAL ignorance at the end.
Original post by driftawaay
Well, everybody is entitled to be a right wing Internet warrior if they wish to be.

People should make an effort in whatever country they stay in.
Original post by Jebedee
People should make an effort in whatever country they stay in.

OK. Go and tell them to make an effort.
The last sentence is very ****ing snide as it devalues her whole article and her credibility as a writer. Unreliable narration. It's all some insecure girl's opinion. She makes it seem like white people are ****ing deliberately ignorant and that she is a bit of a victim. Yet she shows REAL ignorance at the end.

I'm sorry but you're now being sexist and generalising-just because she's a girl it means she is insecure?

re your comment about Hitler- he used his truth to act upon it and subject people to death and torture and the rest. This girl isn't suggesting all chinese guys should be killed because she believes that on average they have smaller penises.
Original post by driftawaay
OK. Go and tell them to make an effort.

I am, great contribution btw.
I'm sorry but you're now being sexist and generalising-just because she's a girl it means she is insecure?

re your comment about Hitler- he used his truth to act upon it and subject people to death and torture and the rest. This girl isn't suggesting all chinese guys should be killed because she believes that on average they have smaller penises.

Her whole article is an insecure defence of trying to seem unaffected by her perception that people are ignorant. Yet, she addresses her perception of their ignorance with yet more ignorance.

Hitler was racist. She is racist. The only difference is Hitler wanted to kill people because of his racism. The snide remark at the end with the sarcastic "sorry" suggests that she has an ugly racism in terms of looking down on the Chinese males.
Reply 57

You have missed my point entirely, maybe reread what i wrote, the other poster was saying it isn't racist because it's her opinion (hitler's opinion was that jews should all be killed. By the other posters logic this isn't racism because it is hitler's opinion.) as for your other points i will try to explain as best i can.

1. as you have said it is her opinion, but that doesn't make it less racist. Racism is generalising on a race based on a small sample. in her case it is her experiences and unless she has seen each and every one of the multiple billions of asian fallaces, she is generalising and being racist. you cant deny that.

2.have you ever heard about a hypothetical? i was demonstrating her racism by using an analogy.
The personal experience:
hypothetical: black people are criminals
her article: asians have smaller penises than whites
The generalisation statement:
her article:asians have smaller penises than whites

get the idea? both are generalising race and that is literally what racism is.

3. your point about "All blacks are criminals" not being racist if in a specific area there are stats to back this up. I'm sorry but this is still wrong and racist. you would still be generalising "all blacks" based on ones in a specific area. I agree it wouldn't be racist if you said "more crimes were comitted in chicago by black people between 2009 and 2010 than white people." that is a fact.using that and then saying "all blacks are criminal" is still racist.

BTW i'm sorry for being repetitive, i dont know how intelligent people are so i feel i need to emphasize lots of points

4."If she had said, all chinese guys have small penises then yeah I'd think that is really offensive" wait, do i need to go back and re read because i thought that was what she said. And how does making it a racist joke and then backing up with personal experience make it better.
Original post by nhtw
You have missed my point entirely, maybe reread what i wrote, the other poster was saying it isn't racist because it's her opinion (hitler's opinion was that jews should all be killed. By the other posters logic this isn't racism because it is hitler's opinion.) as for your other points i will try to explain as best i can.

1. as you have said it is her opinion, but that doesn't make it less racist. Racism is generalising on a race based on a small sample. in her case it is her experiences and unless she has seen each and every one of the multiple billions of asian fallaces, she is generalising and being racist. you cant deny that.

2.have you ever heard about a hypothetical? i was demonstrating her racism by using an analogy.
The personal experience:
her article: asians have smaller penises than whites
The generalisation statement:
her article:asians have smaller penises than whites

get the idea? both are generalising race and that is literally what racism is.

3. your point about "All blacks are criminals" not being racist if in a specific area there are stats to back this up. I'm sorry but this is still wrong and racist. you would still be generalising "all blacks" based on ones in a specific area. I agree it wouldn't be racist if you said "more crimes were comitted in chicago by black people between 2009 and 2010 than white people." that is a fact.using that and then saying "all blacks are criminal" is still racist.

BTW i'm sorry for being repetitive, i dont know how intelligent people are so i feel i need to emphasize lots of points

4."If she had said, all chinese guys have small penises then yeah I'd think that is really offensive" wait, do i need to go back and re read because i thought that was what she said. And how does making it a racist joke and then backing up with personal experience make it better.

I get what you are saying and my point was that she wasn't saying all asians have small penises which is the same as 'all blacks are criminals'.

This is what she said:

And for Chinese having “small dicks”: everything is a comparison, so maybe that’s not really fair.

But yeah, it’s smaller than a white guy’s. Sorry

She's not even saying that chinese guys have small penises- she's just saying they are smaller than a white guy's. I get the points you are trying to make but I hardly think this is equivocal to some ignorant supremacist saying 'all muslims are terrorists or similar'.

This is the problem with racism/sexism.. all the isms, people seem to think it's black and white (scuse the pun) and categorise every single slight stereotype or hint of racism as equivalent to hitler KILLING 6 MILLION JEWS. I'm sorry but I think we have to be a bit more rational about it and think about the implications and consequences of stopping people from voicing their opinions on anything for fear of it being construed as racist/sexist/whateverist.

Also another point about the Hitler thing- his racism was actually that Jews are less worthy as a race than his race and as a result of that they should be killed. There was an actual terrible consequence to his inherent racism. I don't think this girl is planning on advocating for 6 million chinese guys to be killed because they believe their penises are slightly smaller than another race. (this is just another point as to why being like THIS IS THE SAME AS HITLER is not really appropriate). Also I'm not saying this isn't racist, you can define it as racist technically. But I believe that we should be a bit cleverer before we denounce every single thing as racism because it undermines systemic and horrific racism that many people face in the world today.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 59
I get what you are saying and my point was that she wasn't saying all asians have small penises which is the same as 'all blacks are criminals'.

This is what she said:

She's not even saying that chinese guys have small penises- she's just saying they are smaller than a white guy's. I get the points you are trying to make but I hardly think this is equivocal to some ignorant supremacist saying 'all muslims are terrorists or similar'.

This is the problem with racism/sexism.. all the isms, people seem to think it's black and white (scuse the pun) and categorise every single slight stereotype or hint of racism as equivalent to hitler KILLING 6 MILLION JEWS. I'm sorry but I think we have to be a bit more rational about it and think about the implications and consequences of stopping people from voicing their opinions on anything for fear of it being construed as racist/sexist/whateverist.

I'm not saying it's equivocal but there are people on this forum denying that it is racist at all so I've needed to use the hitler analogies to show although as you've said it isn't nearly serious as genocide obviously it is still racism and we should still work to avoid it. Another anology shoplifting isn't as bad as robbing a bank but does that mean it's good, we still need to remove small offences. so ive agreed with you there however i will need to disagree here
"I'm sorry but I think we have to be a bit more rational about it and think about the implications and consequences of stopping people from voicing their opinions on anything for fear of it being construed as racist/sexist/whateverist "
I kinda get what you mean but what about the implications of the opinions themselves being voiced.her comments are insulting and they will be harmful to a lot of asian people because it is reinforcing negative stereotypes. what is there to gain from this sort of speech. I understand a lot of times people wont say constructive things for fear of being labelled an ist. but this is not one of those times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending