The Student Room Group

Currently doing 4 AS Levels in Year 12, thinking of dropping one

Hello.

I am currently in Year 12 and I am doing three AS levels and one linear A-level. I am finding doing four subjects to be very stressful and I think that I could achieve significantly higher grades by focusing on three by dropping one before our AS exams; I think that I could get at least AAB as opposed to BBCC.

Literature is linear and therefore I will gain no AS level from it. I'm thinking of dropping a subject rather than doing it for AS at all. So despite the lack of UCAS points and the additional AS qualification: would it be acceptable for me to have 2 AS-levels and 3 A2 grades? Would many universities be okay with 3 A2 grades and only 2 AS-levels? (One is linear, as I have mentioned).

I feel that I would be far less stressed and would achieve higher grades by focusing on only three. There aren't that many weeks until our AS exams so I'm going to decide soon. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daedric
Hello.

I am currently in Year 12 and I am doing three AS levels and one linear A-level. I am finding doing four subjects to be very stressful and I think that I could achieve significantly higher grades by focusing on three by dropping one before our AS exams; I think that I could get at least AAB as opposed to BBCC.

Literature is linear and therefore I will gain no AS level from it. I'm thinking of dropping a subject rather than doing it for AS at all. So despite the lack of UCAS points and the additional AS qualification: would it be acceptable for me to have 2 AS-levels and 3 A2 grades? Would many universities be okay with 3 A2 grades and only 2 AS-levels? (One is linear, as I have mentioned).

I feel that I would be far less stressed and would achieve higher grades by focusing on only three. There aren't that many weeks until our AS exams so I'm going to decide soon. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

The fact it's linear will be explained on your application, most universities just use your AS Levels to get a vague understanding of you, and I know lots of people who only took 3 AS subjects and just kept them all on. It's not the actual AS qualification that they want you to have, the fact you're studying 3 subjects should be enough :smile: If you have any doubts, just email some admissions centres for unis you're interested in
im having the same problems as you.
im doing 4 as levels atm and my grades are DEEE. and i need to get at least a c in the exams in may. its sooooo stressful😨😨😨

Original post by Gingerbread101
The fact it's linear will be explained on your application, most universities just use your AS Levels to get a vague understanding of you, and I know lots of people who only took 3 AS subjects and just kept them all on. It's not the actual AS qualification that they want you to have, the fact you're studying 3 subjects should be enough :smile: If you have any doubts, just email some admissions centres for unis you're interested in
Reply 3
Original post by Gingerbread101

This is reassuring, thank you very much. I will be dropping one of my AS subjects most likely next week.

Quick Reply

Latest