Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 2nd year who's just been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.
    I've had to take a year out due to this but hope to restart in September.
    Been told I'll have to go through occupational health etc.

I'm worried I won't be allowed to return to study. My symptoms are now managed and I've started medication with I intend to take regularly.

Does any one know of similar cases or where I stand? I read that if they deem me to be a risk to patients I might not be allowed back - this really isn't the case and as it is now under control I feel as if the med school has a duty to support me.

Any thoughts?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedorMed)
    I'm a 2nd year who's just been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.
    I've had to take a year out due to this but hope to restart in September.
    Been told I'll have to go through occupational health etc.

I'm worried I won't be allowed to return to study. My symptoms are now managed and I've started medication with I intend to take regularly.

Does any one know of similar cases or where I stand? I read that if they deem me to be a risk to patients I might not be allowed back - this really isn't the case and as it is now under control I feel as if the med school has a duty to support me.

Any thoughts?

Speak directly to OH at the university. They're the only ones who will be able to give you a definitive answer. If it is controlled and stays that way I would think that they would be fine. As long as you and your patients are safe there is no issue.

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.